BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Wadda Ya Think Guys

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick HaenslerWadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 3:18:24 pm

I'm not only a videographer but a professional photographer and musician as well. 6 months ago I struck up a musical partnership with an old friend of mine who moved back here from Nashville. He was a very successful multi instrumental sideman who toured with many top name country and folk artists. He and I have a pension for Celtic music both traditional and non traditional and specialize in highly arranged groove oriented material in our live act. I also own a 16 track project studio with a good selection of mics and outboard gear including some very clean and transparent preamps. I've been perusing all of the major(and minor) royalty free stock music sights and can't find anything close to what we're doing. So my question. Is it in the realm of reality to make any money at all marketing niche royalty free music such as this. We have the gear, the chops, and the ideas. Your feedback is most appreciated.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark BurnstienRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 4:26:27 pm

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

You never know some hot shot producer might have your music on their next HBO hit... or it could languish on a dusty shelf somewhere.

Either way you'll never know until you've tried.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:12:46 pm

The risk is pretty low, this would be a fun way to kill off some down time in a way that might eventually pay off. But even if it doesn't you should still do it for reasons of personal growth and sel-expression, and the fact that any artistic endeavor feeds back into improving your skills as an editor.

So do it for a lark, low-key, and keep expectations low at first. Music tastes come and go like the tides, you may end up in the right place and time to take advantage.

You're in Australia anyhow, so Aussie rules: what the heck are you doing asking permission of anybody to do anything, anyhow, go DO it, sort out the damage later:-)

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:45:42 pm

I think the next question is do you want to distribute it yourself or do you need to find a distributor?

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 15, 2009 at 5:13:28 am

You guys are awesome. First Dave Weiss helps me get my NLE back on line because of a STUPID mistake i made, and now all this encouragement. Once again, THE COW RULES!!! I just got out of an 8 hour studio session cutting our first track and it is by far the best thing I have ever done musically. We have a new genre we're dubbing "American Celtic Roots" music. I'm so pumped I don't know if I'll be sleeping much tonight. And Mark, I'm not an Aussie, I'm from lil ole Salisbury MD, but I'll take that as a compliment. I am a pretty mean didj player after all. I'll post a link to the new tunes when we get it on line. Thank you so much for the affirmation guys.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 15, 2009 at 5:47:04 am

[Mick Haensler] "I just got out of an 8 hour studio session cutting our first track and it is by far the best thing I have ever done musically. We have a new genre we're dubbing "American Celtic Roots" music. I'm so pumped I don't know if I'll be sleeping much tonight."

While you have been recording and not sleeping, we have been launching a new record label and not sleeping. ;o)

It's why the magazine is sneaking out a little late because we couldn't get some server issues resolved and the new issue contains the news and a look at our upcoming release. It would help to have a website, eh? ;o)

We are very excited as our first artist is one of the finest composer/pianists in Southern California and his music is quite beautiful.

Tim Wilson and I joked that a power pop indie band with some killer hooks would be nice as an introduction but this guy's music is remarkable and his piano playing is -- in my opinion -- better than some of the New Age piano meisters like George Winston and Jim Brickman.

Back when I was in my 20s, I was in a band with this guy and he was great even then -- in fact, we won a contest that Erma Bombeck held in her sydicated column looking for a songwriter. Of all the groups that entered from around the country, we won and were made her guests in Phoenix, with Ron Ripps producing a session with Tim Hunnicut at Hunnicut Studio. It was a wonderful studio and the sessions were quite fun, but we were too heavy it seems for the labels who wanted us to be like Billy Joel and Elton John. We wanted to be more intense like Andy Pratt, who was working with Tony Levin and Steve Gadd on his Resolution album, those were our heroes. (Ron Ripps would later make the first transcontinental hot-air balloon flight.)

Now, I have my own recording studio and some of my favorite players are slated to do some recording here in the days ahead.

Now, all these years later, the circle comes around full, and we are going to work together again. Watch for the next issue of Creative Cow Magazine over the next few days for more details.

Isn't life just too damned cool sometimes?

:o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Aug 15, 2009 at 3:09:51 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "Isn't life just too damned cool sometimes? "

Indeed. Congratulations Ron, that's exciting stuff. With so many things going on I'm sure it's hard to prioritize. Life is good, ain't it!!!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 17, 2009 at 4:28:14 pm

[Mick Haensler] "With so many things going on I'm sure it's hard to prioritize."

Yes, so I just make 'em all, damned important. Simplifies things that way.

We would have had the magazine out on time but at the same time as getting all the artwork done for discmakers, and needing to build both the artist and label websites -- along with getting the articles and magazine formatted to go online -- we had to have server issues pop up that required Abraham to completely rebuild one of our banks of drives supporting some of our servers. It's been nuts.

Thankfully, because it is all prioritized as "Most Important," at least it's been simple. ;o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 17, 2009 at 3:27:53 pm

Ron,
It sounds like, as always, there is exciting stuff going on at the COW.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahonRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 15, 2009 at 3:47:33 pm

Royalty free these days is typically having a large mass of content and making money through small micro-payments that (hopefully) add up over time. It started with photography, then graphics and now audio. There are many sites with large libraries of low cost music (http://www.istockaudio.com and audiojungle.net to name a couple) and most producers I know just go grab a clip of what they need for a few bucks. I think the higher paying gigs would be more marketing the custom creation of music to clients. It would provide more value and produce higher returns then trying to compete in the sea of $3 audio clips so prominent on the web.

Frank

Creative Cow Podcast Page
Creative Cow Podcast in iTunes

Media Artist Secrets Blog / Franklin McMahon TV Show: FranklinMcMahon.com
Studio Page

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: Wadda Ya Think Guys
by on Aug 16, 2009 at 10:03:45 pm

[Franklin McMahon] "I think the higher paying gigs would be more marketing the custom creation of music to clients. It would provide more value and produce higher returns then trying to compete in the sea of $3 audio clips so prominent on the web."

Great suggestion. I agree with Franklin. You could offer original music, guaranteed not to be already on someone else's spot/show.

And, if totally-original is not in the client's budget, you could offer to customize readily-available music which you harvest from the Internet. (A lot of folks just don't have the time/talent to find and evaluate stuff on the Internet.)

I don't ordinarily advocate giving stuff away, but if there is a local public radio show, you might want to author an original signature tune for them, in exchange for a daily credit at the end of the show. I know a music/recording studio which gets lots of free advertising this way, and has achieved the position in this market that you probably want: they're the go-to people for scoring shows.

Good luck Mick.

Bob C

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:54:51 am

Hey Bob and Frank

Excellent thoughts. Thank you very much for the input. Fortunately for me my partner is a marketing maniac, he actually enjoys it. I never thought of NPR or doing the harvesting thing, interesting. Thanks so much for the input.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]