BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

I have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cristina martinezI have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?
by on Aug 6, 2009 at 6:03:20 am

Hi everyone , i seen a lot of advise you guys give and really need help my husband has a half way "D.J " wanna be side job ... but he practically never gets any clients he works through references from people and thats a rare thing ... As we know time is rough and many bills need to be paid i am tired of just seeing iall the equipment without being used o ive decided to take over and have no clue where i should startand what are the most effective advertising and can go through so i can "boom up my buisness?" i would really apreciate the advise and thanks for taking the time to read this

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: I have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?
by on Aug 6, 2009 at 3:21:40 pm

Starting a business - any business - takes planning, aka, A Business Plan.

There are tons of books and online resources about this topic, which is a bit broad for a forum.

Know what you have and what you can do. Know what people are willing to pay for such a service, and get your name out there. See what others in the same line of work do and do that, but set yourself apart somehow.

In my experience, each market usually has one or two DJ services that own the market - they are at all the wedding shows, they do local cable advertising, they do the high school dances (prom queens eventually get married, you know) and they often have arrangements with the catering halls.

Do some market research.

Running a business is hard work.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: I have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?
by on Aug 6, 2009 at 3:37:43 pm

Make sure he is in all the local wedding publications. Being his bride, really it's as easy as offer home incentives. Positive reenforcement does wonders. I imagine the offering of a happy ending per booking will get a few bookings day one.
I'm not being sarcastic in the least here. Right now, he is probaly looking at all that gear with an occasional thought of losing it. That's negative. Compairing it to religeon, say you have one religeon that threatens you with an enterity of hell fire, should you act on a God-given instict. Another one offers horny virgins in the after life should you resist. One motivator is simply more effective than the other. Tell him he's cool but would be a lot cooler of he'd do some networking.

Return to posts index

Steve MartinRe: I have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?
by on Aug 6, 2009 at 4:16:12 pm

Hi Christina,

I started my business many years ago as a DJ while in college. While I no longer do that kind of work, I'm sure that a lot of my experience remains relevant. At least from a business standpoint. Most of this is pretty universal and can be adapted to most service business models.

Step One - pick a niche market: Sure, a DJ can do almost any kind of event, but form a marketing standpoint - focus on a niche that he's particularly good at. For the purpose of examples, lets say it's weddings. This doesn't mean he'll turn down other work, just that you focus your marketing energy toward your best prospects for success.

Step Two - Research that Market. Who are the DJs that currently dominate that market? Check their websites. Know the competition. Is there anything he does (or doesn't do) that can be considered a competitive advantage over the others? If so, make sure to exploit that advantage in your marketing materials (brochure, website, facebook, twitter, email blasts, etc...)

Step Three - Speaking of marketing materials... Create a clear and well focused brand identity for the business. Use the info you gather from steps 1 & 2. Maybe its about the type of music he specializes in . Perhaps it's price (example - "The Most Expensive DJ in town - and worth every penny!"). Whatever it the niche, make sure the brand identity supports it 100%

Step Four - Determine who influences the market: Catering halls, bridal consultants, publications & websites that brides use as a resource for information. Talk to all of these people to see how they might be able to help you get his name in front of clients. This is likely some combination of networking, advertising, booths at wedding shows, etc...

Step Five - Work your butt off. Starting a business isn't easy. It takes time, effort, ingenuity and tenacity to be successful. Especially in a tough economy.

Good Luck!

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?
by on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:56:18 pm

If you thought it was ahrd doing event video because "anybody with a camcorder can shoot weddings"... then you will REALL love the DJ business. As we all know, who needs a DJ if you have an ipod, amps, strobes and subwoofers?

A DJ service, particulalrly a wedding/party DJ, is only partly about the music. Anybody can throw a playlist togetehr, heck, Itunes genius bar automates even that. Mostly, it is about the MC aspect, can you entertain and direct the fun. That's really what you're mostly paying for, and it's the hardest skill to build and market.

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: I have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?
by on Aug 6, 2009 at 8:57:03 pm

Career Questionnaire:

Do you love acting like a cheeseball in front of a crowd?

Do you looooove the sound of your own voice amplified to distortion?

Do you love to make people's ears bleed?

If you answered 'yes' to one or more of these questions, a DJ career may be for you!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I have no clue how to start a D.J buisness?
by on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:30:25 am

Additional job requirement: must be willing to promise everything on the playlist you paid him to play: and then ignore that entire list during your reception, including your EXPRESS WISHES to NOT play K.C. and the Sunshine Band's "Celebration". But accept any random request one of the teenagers submits and make it the very next play. During the Parent's Dance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved