BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

"Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy J. Allen"Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules
by on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:04:25 pm

Wondering when to hold your production meetings? Are you a Production Manager that's having a hard time figuring out when to schedule your staff for meetings?

Here's some food for thought...

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this from both management and the artistic folks.

Return to posts index

Dan AsselinRe: "Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules
by on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:31:12 pm

We can take this one step further and look at the telephone as the great destroyer of creative inertia. Giving people your e-mail address as their only means of contacting you doesn't work so I haven't come up with a solution for this problem either.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: "Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules
by on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:28:26 pm

Seems obvious, except it wasn't, until he pointed it out. But how to amke an accomdation, when most organizations are not flexible enough to adapt to this?

Return to posts index

Chris DurhamRe: "Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules
by on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:46:50 pm

This is a wonderful way of putting what I've felt for years. I've always hated switching gears in the middle of the day because it throws progress off so much. This is coming from a technical background, but with a creative mind.

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: "Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 12:51:34 am

Well I'm both an owner/manager and a creative director so I can certainly relate. I've always hated excessive meetings. I know they're necessary to organize people and projects, but I get irritated by clients that just seem to feel a meeting is necessary for everything.

We work with one client that insists on meetings for virtually every phase of a project. We ultimately end up doing 2, 3, sometimes 4 location scouts of the SAME locations. We'll meet to organize thoughts from the 3 meetings we had last week (I'm not kidding). It's exhausting...and I find myself (like the article said) forgetting about the meetings because they're so positively ineffective and soul crushing.

Just trying to fit them into people's schedules usually results in scheduling confusion and people often show up on the wrong days and times, or not at all because the days and times get changed so much.

I find that people who need to have lots of meetings are usually extremely insecure and unsure about their abilities or they're unqualified to be leading the project in the first place.

I'm no meeting expert by any stretch..but when I attend a meeting I've called or am a principal participant in, I typically take extensive notes, and as soon as I return, I type up a summary listing relevant issues and the action that's to be taken concerning each one. I then send it to every relevant person who attended so each point can be addressed. What usually happens? The client wants another meeting to review what the meeting summary addresses. I'm only half-kidding, but I've said for years that excessive meetings get in the way of American productivity more than anything else.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: "Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 2:56:58 am

My thought is if the manager has naver made, the manager just aint managing.
This has been the case at most of the places I have worked at. I've never had a problem with giving respect where it is due but I've never been good at faking it when it's not.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: "Maker's" vs. "Manager's" schedules
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 2:10:57 pm

As a manager, who used to be a shooter and editor, and who still does some of that, I will admit that the biggest challenge has been finding that balance.

As a project manager, I need to get the work to my client. However, knowing how we creative types work, i know that interruptions will impact my timeline.

We used to have bi-weekly meetings, or monthly meetings, to go over all active projects. However this was a bad use of time, and honestly, an editor or programmer really only needs to know about the current projects, not something coming up 3 months from now.

So now we just share information informally, office to office, and that is much more efficient for everyone.

But there is always room for improvement in any organization.

Good find.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved