BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Funeral channel?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Nick Griffin
Funeral channel?
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:02:18 pm

After Elvis, Lady Di, and now Michael Jackson has anyone else seen the market for a "funeral channel?" I initially thought that it could be a joke, albeit one in questionable taste. Lately it's starting to seem like something that someone will likely do sometime soon. Won't be me, but at least if all the programming could be put in one place, the rest of the media could get back to other things.

"Rock of ages, cleft for me... for a slightly higher fee. Oh, take me when I'm gone to Forrest Lawn." - Tom Paxton

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahon
Re: Funeral channel?
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:23:59 pm

I think the Biography channel hits some of those notes and to a lesser extent E! Entertainment.

The part people like about a, um, funeral is they can look at an artist with perspective and choose the time period to remember them. When someone passes you look at the entire body of work. You can also choose to remember a certain decade, as opposed to the current status. When stars are alive we harp on the bad, when they are gone, we focus on the good. And we can remember the MJ from the 70s/80s rather than the troubled MJ of the 90s forward.

But there is an idea there..maybe an "Icon Channel" or "Remembrance Channel"

As for your wish of "the rest of the media could get back to other things", well..don't see that happening anytime soon...

Franklin

Creative Cow Podcast Page
Creative Cow Podcast in iTunes

Media Artist Secrets Blog: FranklinMcMahon.com
Studio Page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:28:17 pm

Do you mean a channel that shows funerals, or one that has funeral industry content.

My next door neighbor is a former mortician, who still attends trade shows. I am surprised a tv channel has never emerged targeting the funeral industry.

Or perhaps a little of each. Industry news and celebrity funeral coverage.

The RFD channel, about farming and topics of interest to farmers and country-folk is a pretty targeted channel. The weekly Farm Report is actually interesting, as I would never have known that the Kansas soybean crop is only 34% planted as of this week, or that apical dominance is an actual agriculture term.

I know that videos for funerals is a segment of the production business.

It seems someone has thought of this:
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/news/article_1334922.php/Fune...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_1998_Nov/ai_54879214/

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/1997/09/6904

and amazingly, Nick's post is already listed in Google under funeral channel - amazing.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Jul 7, 2009 at 7:08:26 pm

Jim Henson's memorial could be on a weekly rotation.

KI wonder what kind of deals entertainers cut when performing at memorials... Who ends up with the rights?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:49:59 pm

Don't laugh. One of the lesser-know areas of event videography is covering funerals for those overseas family members who cannot attend. This can be just shooting documentary coverage and mailing a DVD, or it can even involve a live stream.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 8, 2009 at 4:30:21 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Don't laugh. One of the lesser-know areas of event videography is covering funerals..."

Yes, I read somewhere that people are just dying to have one made for their family members and friends.

Er...sorry. I couldn't pass up a bad joke -- in absolutely poor taste, no less.

Blame it on my pre-caffeination (which I am in the process of rectifying at the moment).

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 8, 2009 at 5:30:47 pm

I shot one of these for a family in the midwest that had key relatives out in the Philippines who would have missed everything otherwise. Hired thru the funeral director, they gave me a few tips on do's and don'ts. I kept a respectful distance and while I did get an open-casket shot, it was a wide shot from a respectful distance.

Mostly I captured the eulogies and in-house service. I also shot a lot of close-ups and passes of the memorial photo montage the family hastily threw together, and handed that off to another person for editing to a cassette of the deceased's trumpet playing. Followed the procession out to the gravesite, shot telephoto from 50 yards or so and used a wireless to get some of the location shound. As the coffin went down into the hole, I tilted up to a partly-cloudy sky. Clients were very happy. With my work, I mean, obviously. It in many respects was not unlike covering a wedding in single-cam documentary/ENG style. Lot of editing in-camera. I just didn't have to chase anybody much.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 8, 2009 at 5:58:05 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Clients were very happy. With my work, I mean, obviously."

LOL

[Mark Suszko] "It in many respects was not unlike covering a wedding"

Wedding...funeral..."family reunion" in many cases.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Jul 8, 2009 at 6:38:00 pm

http://www.instantrimshot.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 8, 2009 at 7:56:55 pm

Why can't we start a Creative Cow funeral channel ?
I know, we can start with the Discreet "edit"ors forum. "Oh, my poor poor Windows NT computer". We can cry over Sony 1" machines, CMX edit systems, old AVID's, Medea hard drives, died too soon HUGE Systems products, and for the truly sentimental - QUAD users (oh, those were the days). I can personally torment those that still use CRT monitors (in the words of Monty Python - "Im not dead yet").

What a great addition to Creative Cow - the funeral forum.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:24:59 pm

i had a funeral of a ampex VPR2 2 weeks ago.
after it tried to kill me in a last desperate move with shooting some tantal capacitor's to my head.
i got angry first but who can blame an old senile VTR.
poor big fellow. i fed him with some old sticky memorex tape.

i geuss i'm the murderer

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:52:02 pm

[maurice jansen] "i fed him with some old sticky memorex tape."

Memorex, that will kill anything dead -- especially important stuff.

I never found a single taped project that used Memorex that lasted any real time at all.

At one point, in one of the studios I worked in, we had a laser-printed joke poster on the wall that said: Trust your memories to Memorex™ -- yeah, right!?$#@!

I think an argument could be made, Maurice, that you used cruel and inhumane treatment of the prisoner.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:58:49 pm

Poor deck... with that old gal, just best to consider it euthanasia.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:10:31 pm

memorex is like tipp-ex

it take's things away not giving you things back.

god i hate this finance guy who got praised buying this crap for 2 years

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Jul 9, 2009 at 6:07:14 am

I'm sure someone could make a killing at this untapped market.

Fine Art Drawings | Photography | Compositing | VFX | Titles | Keying | 3D

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:51:32 pm

[Robert Morris] "I'm sure someone could make a killing at this untapped market."

I believe that would be on the new channel's "MegaMurder Weekend" specials.

Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up, either...

Drumroll please...

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jul 9, 2009 at 4:53:18 am

Of course. let's put the "fun" back in funeral. We could have Jesse James build a hearse straight out of Monster Garage. The gals from Sex in the City could do an episode called "Necrophilia. How about if we resurrect the "Dead Zone" TV show...and, and, and the "dead zone" campaign from Verizon would fit right in.

I had an audition here last week and two of the guys were certified "Stiffs". There's some leading role material fer shure.

Maybe we can get an effects house to bring Billy Mays back to be our barker.

This could be BIG! Is channel 13 available?

I wonder how many bells are ringing in Ron's "bad word" filter....

I;m going to bed.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 9, 2009 at 4:49:02 pm

[Steve Wargo] "Of course. let's put the "fun" back in funeral. We could have Jesse James build a hearse straight out of Monster Garage. The gals from Sex in the City could do an episode called "Necrophilia. How about if we resurrect the "Dead Zone" TV show...and, and, and the "dead zone" campaign from Verizon would fit right in."

Maybe license Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" as the channel's theme song. Then again, the Alan Parsons Project's "What Goes Up (Must Come Down)" would seem another natural choice.

But "putting the FUN back in funeral"...now that's a slogan.

Steve you are sick. That's why I like you.

;o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 9, 2009 at 4:58:11 am

Nick, I think this is a great idea and would be as much fun as the Wedding Channel, or even more so considering there are more hit Vampire shows then Bride and Groom Series on TV. In fact, if you ever get this together, call me as we have interesting funerals here (pujas) where the body is burned atop a big pile of wood and then the ashes are scattered in the river. Sometimes there are dozens of funerals burning at once, which is quite the scene. So consider us your funeral reporters in South Asia!

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Gunnar Refardt
on Jul 9, 2009 at 8:47:25 am

This is huge! Endless possibilities!!!!! YAY!
It would need educational programmes like Kentucky Fried Movies "Living with the dead", gameshows, news, big brother with dead people, date my dead mom, dead jackass, the kustom koffin show, burial rites of the world… i guess it's a huge market too!

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:46:26 pm

Alright, you sick F-ers. Does everyone have the bad jokes out of their systems? I'm just amazed at how easily people are distracted by flash and spectacle to the point where real news is bumped. Then again, in this age of news organizations doing "more with less" no big surprise that endless coverage of Michael Jackson is far simpler than following the US President to Russia and the G8 Summit.

Hey, did anyone hear that while everyone was paying so much attention to all things Michael Jackson parts of the US IT infrastructure were attacked, purportedly by the North Koreans? Scary stuff even though it was only partially successful and only for a short time.

And while I'm on a rant... isn't it kind of incredible how few people pay attention to where the REAL talent is? Before Quincy Jones started producing him Michael Jackson's music was pablum pop. After parting with Quincy, yet I believe still keeping his engineer Geoff Emerick, the music was disjointed and not particularly good -- well engineered, but musically not so much. IMHO.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:53:03 pm

Let us not forget that CNN devoted valuable broadcast time to Larry King investigating Michael Jackson's ghost appearing at his mansion. It turned out it was a shadow. A SHADOW. Doesn't CNN remember Three Men and a Baby?

Ridiculous. Now I know why I stopped watching tv news.

Nick - kudos for keeping us grounded.

Mike

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 9, 2009 at 11:56:42 pm

:o)

Well, Nick, now I gotta get all serious and stuff. Let me see if I can do it...

[sound of whirring gears here, machine struggles as gears engage]

I gave up on USA news quite some time ago as it was no longer news. It seemed much more interested in Brittney's latest tryst or her problems with jail or anything else but real news. It became like the grocery store check-out stand tabloids with their endless interest in Brad and Jennifer and Angelina. Oh please...can we have something -- anything! -- real, please?

When they aren't slathering all over some star or starlet, they are demonizing some schmuck and vilifying and convicting them long before the verdict is even in.

It has become The Business of Pandering & Villifying. It's an even dirtier variant of the Show Business underbelly practiced in the movie industry.

The fact that the news didn't mention an attack on the IT infrastructure of the USA is no surprise. But if they had hacked Brittney's website, it would be a national calamity.

Even when news "pretends" to be news today, it is little more than one side of the political divide trying to whip up their constituency into a feeding frenzy designed to mock and vilify those on the other side of the political divide. Yawn.

Leonard Cohen said it best: There is a crack in everything, it's how the light gets in.

But nobody listens to him either.

See? I can be serious, Nick.

;)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jul 10, 2009 at 2:40:58 pm

Well by providing the correct spelling for Geoff Emerick Ron Lindeboom has put me once more in his debt this week. Thank you, Ron. I'm not worthy.

What took me by surprise Tuesday morning wasn't that cable channels would feel it necessary to carry the Jackson funeral it was the corruption of what I considered to be one of the few remaining legit news sources: KCBS, News Radio San Francisco.

Driving back Tuesday morning after a wonderful evening in Paso Robles with a truly gracious and generous host and hostess, I was listening to KCBS for their traffic reports (a necessity in the Bay area). I was stunned that they were providing nearly wall-to-wall coverage of the Jackson funeral. Little news, some weather, traffic (thankfully) and MICHAEL JACKSON'S FUNERAL??? ON KCBS??? Is this how low we've sunk?

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 10, 2009 at 5:11:47 pm

Yes, but the real question, Nick, is now that you have seen the Mancave Recording Studio in person, am I ever going to convince you to come out and record with me in it when it is all done?

:o)

Geoff Emerick won't be engineering but I am sure I can track down some other geezer to handle the board and the set-up.

Kathlyn and I thoroughly loved having you guys here for a visit. It truly was an honor, Nick.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jul 10, 2009 at 5:41:20 pm

Well Nick..... it appears you have a mission -- and definitely an idea that will make you a multi-millionaire. Let's face it, there's definitely a market considering all the crap that's broadcast these days.
Better hurry up and develop/patent this idea before someone else does.
Let's face it... this month alone -- what with Ed McMahon, Michael Jackson, Billy Mays, Farah Fawcett, Karl Malden, and Steve McNair, etc. -- your ratings would have been through the roof!!!

DS

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 10, 2009 at 5:52:49 pm

So Dennis, when are *you* coming out to Wine Country?

;)

Ron & Kathlyn

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:42:17 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "I am sure I can track down some other geezer to handle the board and the set-up."

Hey, I'm a geezer. I can ride levels and do headphone mixes, etc. In fact, that would get me out of having to play. True story: decades ago when I fancied myself a folkie it was only after some initial attempts at recording that I figured out on which side of the glass I belonged. Then after observing a George Massenberg session (back before he was THE George Massenberg -- so responsible for the sound of Earth, Wind & Fire that he was given POINTS in the act -- POINTS!) anyway, after watching George Motion in action I decided the control room side was where the real action was.

The Mancave room looks like it will be sweat. I'm looking forward to returning to Paso Robles! Thanks again to you an Kathlyn for a wonderful evening and a great meal!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]