BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Chasing money...and then waiting

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Wargo
Chasing money...and then waiting
on Jul 3, 2009 at 10:19:07 pm

A few years ago, I worked on a feature film with Burt Reynolds and Raquel Welch. The producer still owes me $2500 for the day of pick up shots. He hasn't been seen for a while and I just did a Google on him. Here's what I found.

http://www.pennystocksexposed.com/pse_053.htm

Here's my question(s):

Should I send him a final statement and wait for the check?

Should I charge him interest while he's away on vacation?

Should I say "Screw It" and take down the mob.

Anxiously awaiting your replies.

One last question. "How do I get involved in this sh--?"

Thanks in advance.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Chasing money...and then waiting
on Jul 3, 2009 at 10:32:30 pm

That didn't seem to work for some reason but this one did in preview.

http://www.pennystocksexposed.com/pse_053.htm

I just don't understand this internet stuff...

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 4, 2009 at 8:47:42 pm

my most infamous story was from the NY days, when I was a "big shot" (hey, I'm Bob Zelin - you can't f#$% with me) - and I was screwed over by The Shooting Gallery that was "infamous" for buying Slingblade and subsequently sold it for 10 million to Miramax Films.

So after all the stories involving the threats, the police, the New York Magazine article, the LA Times investigation -
1) I never got my money
2) they went to jail
3) I'm still nobody

The satisfaction of jail still doesn't get me the money that I was owed.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 5, 2009 at 11:31:38 pm

Man, am I glad my middle initial is "G."

When I was back in college, I used to work as a DJ in a swanky Disco. One of our occasional customers was Chris Bonano. I didn't really undersand who he was - just that he would stop at the front door and have our head bouncer lock his gun in the safe when he came in for an evening.

I was sitting in the next door dive coffee shop one night after work with a couple of the cocktail waitresses from the club and another of the older waitresses came in with Chris and a couple of his "friends." We all sat at a table together. Seemed an OK guy. Wasn't long after that that Chris's dad got tied up in a big anabolic steroids trafficking mess and got dumped out of the witness protection program, iirc.

Some people are just destined for larger lives than us mere mortals, I guess.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 6, 2009 at 4:23:19 pm

Steve,

Just out of curiosity...did anything about this operation seem 'odd' at the time?

Every time I ignored my little voice when it told me that there was something fishy about a situation...I've been burned. Maybe it's a midwest thing, but I've gotten to the point where things seem to have a pretty obvious 'smell' to them sometimes.

Whether it's someone who refuses to give enough detail, or their enthusiasm is not justified by their experience, or there is some 'assumed' revenue stream that is based on a long list of events that run counter to human nature or standard business procedures... If it seems like somethings is a little shaky, it usually is...

I'm just curious as to whether you had any pangs of concern when you got into the deal...

It's no help on the invoice issue I realize...(I suspect you could write a book about it and recover the money faster).

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jul 7, 2009 at 5:14:15 am

[Tim Kolb] "did anything about this operation seem 'odd' at the time?"

Hey Tim

I was Second Unit DP and didn't get exposed to the "money guys". Met Burt Reynolds and almost met Raquel Welch (does that count?). I did find a photo of Paloma and actor Richard Greico on my own website at http://www.sntvideo.com/pictures.asp?id=studio

In the first pic on the second row, that's Paloma on the bench and Greico is snapping away. When the flick was done, Paloma decided to insert several new shots and I shot those. It was one day. He gave me a post dated check and I paid my crew. I was never able to find him again. But, I know where he's at right now. Sweet! He has the dough and I think I'll be waiting for him when he gets out. That should make his day.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jul 7, 2009 at 2:31:13 pm

Steve-
IMHO getting paid for a day is simply not worth the effort on this one. When this guy gets out he's going to have more on his mind than dealing with you and it's simply not worth your time to pursue him.

As to Tim's posting, when I was VERY young I agreed to build the sound system for a dance club. (These guys wanted a radio booth so they could play records rather than pay a band every night -- a couple of years later it was everywhere and called 'disco.') So anyway, midway through the job I ran into unexpected expenses and the club owner and his "friend" said 'no problem' and just pealed several hundreds of dollars off a wad from his pocket. After this happening a couple of times, my pay coming in a similar manner, and noticing that there was a fairly frequent card game going on in a back room, and noticing that people were always coming around to either pay or be paid for their part in the pre-lottery street numbers game, I realized that I had taken a job from mildly organized crime.

Here's how I dealt with it. I did exactly what I had promised up front and provided a solid working system. Then I found them someone who could perform on-going maintenance on the system (because he was located so much closer than me went the logic) and I slowly removed myself from the situation. It was a business deal. They got what they had asked for and I got paid. Years later they were busted for running numbers and a few other things and I had not been around their business in quite some time. I got lucky because once I saw what was going on I knew that I had to deliver what was promised and I knew to get the hell out of their once it seemed that I had.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]