BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Big guy hits little guy. Self-prescribed discounts.

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Kownacki
Big guy hits little guy. Self-prescribed discounts.
on Jun 11, 2009 at 12:16:17 pm

Ahhh, yet again the big corp takes advantage. I got a check from a decent customer and couldn't figure out why the amount didn't match my receivable. While my invoice was pay before delivery, they took it upon themselves to take a 2% discount this time. I'll deliver (and make it up later) or maybe I should email a statement for the balance. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the money and the product still in my possession, but gee whiz. Maybe I'll only deliver 98% of their tapes. ;)

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Big guy hits little guy. Self-prescribed discounts.
on Jun 11, 2009 at 2:14:57 pm

Actually Steve... while I don't recall that issue ever having been brought up on the COW, in the rest of the business world that is extremely common.

A lot of people bill "2/15 Net 30"... meaning the full balance is due in 30 days, but if a client pays within 15 days they can deduct 2%.

The problem is, a lot of big corporations (and especially a lot of government agencies) take this deduction anyway for early pays, even if you don't stip it on your invoice.

You can try to recover the 2%, but I remember a story of several years ago where someone tried just that (it was with a government client) and they simply wound up beating their head against a wall and wading through a mountain of red tape. In the end they spent time worth far more than the 2% trying to recover it... which they never got.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jun 11, 2009 at 2:17:59 pm

Yep. Which reminds me of a good business practice: Never lower your price, just reduce the amount of services to meet a budget.

I tried the 2/N10 one time years ago any you still wait for money and they take the discount.

Saw on a photographer's website yesterday: "Due to these uncertain economic times, we no longer offer terms to anyone; we require 100% payment upon delivery of goods; credit cards accepted for your convenience". While that'll cost you 3%-ish, you can calculate that in your original budget.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 12, 2009 at 6:38:22 am

If all of my people would pay 2% net 10, I'd be all over that. As long as it's a check and not a cc.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]