BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Freelance Production Insurance

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Freelance Production Insurance
by on Jun 7, 2009 at 8:42:04 pm

Just to jump off from a similar thread,

Recently I decided to call one of those "crew service" companies that provide you with clientele (and they take %15 of your pay)

They asked me for:

-Insurance for my equipment (fine)
-$1M Liability Insurance (Ok...)
-and workers comp insurance, for myself as a freelancer and any other person on my crew. (....?)

Have you run across this?

Emre Tufekci

Return to posts index

Richard DuCasseRe: Freelance Production Insurance
by on Jun 7, 2009 at 9:59:38 pm

Yes. If you hire other freelancers to be on your crew, you should have worker's comp insurance in case they get hurt or damage something. It is fairly common with working for larger companies.

Return to posts index

Trey GregoryRe: Freelance Production Insurance
by on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:14:37 pm

I've been working with my insurance agent regarding this very issue.

As I understand it, it works like this (at least in GA):

If an independent contractor doesn't carry their own worker's comp insurance, while they are working they are automatically covered by the hiring company's worker's comp policy. If the hiring company get's audited by their insurance company at the end of the year, they will have to pay a fee for every independent contractor that they hire who did not carry their own worker's compensation insurance. Unless they have a worker's comp policy that allows for multiple uninsured contractors....which would be insanely expensive.

The hiring company is supposed to carry an insurance cert for every contractor they hire to show that the contractor has their own coverage.

This is why it's always safer for a company to hire a vendor who carries their own insurance and worker's comp.

I'm no insurance agent, so definitely check with whoever provides your coverage for more specific details.

Hope that helps.

Trey Gregory
ECG Productions - Atlanta
HD Production and Post

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Freelance Production Insurance
by on Jun 9, 2009 at 8:09:46 pm

Thank you for the information, I will look into it in my state.

Emre Tufekci

Return to posts index

Richard DuCasseRe: Freelance Production Insurance
by on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:09:03 pm

Thank you for that information. No one has explained it to me that way, including the 2 insurance agents I talked to. They said it did not make any sense for me, as a sole proprietor with no employees.

As interesting as your explanation sounds, I still don't see how I could ever file a claim for workers comp with any of my clients. I only get hired by the day, and typical jobs might last a week. I thought you had to be working at a company for a year, full-time, before you could claim workers comp, and only after you had been "layed off". So how does it make any sense for me to pay $425 a year for this insurance? Any thoughts on that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved