BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Videos I produced while at former employer - can they be used?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will RodriguezVideos I produced while at former employer - can they be used?
by on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:09:58 pm

I have been in the industry for over 20 years. I have never had this issue come up before, but now that it has, I find that I am unable to find the right answer.

I have been using a demo reel to promote my business for a bit of time now, that includes clips from videos that I produced/edited/shot while employed by someone. The videos were created to promote my former employer's business, of course, but the sole creation credit belongs to me.

I understand the videos themselves belong to the company, as intellectual property or whatnot...but can I not use clips of those videos that I spent time creating myself to promote the things that I can do? How else can I promote myself if not through the videos that I have done in the past?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Videos I produced while at former employer - can they be used?
by on Jun 5, 2009 at 3:44:00 am

Hi Will,

I missed your post on the demo reels forum when you put it up but I just bumped into it and have moved it to this forum where it really belongs.

The answer to your question is in this thread...

Please feel free to start a new thread if you need more information after reading it -- that way, your question won't be lost in a thread that is days old.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved