BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

What do you use for your business internet connection?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
moody glasgow
What do you use for your business internet connection?
on May 21, 2009 at 9:21:57 pm

We are looking to upgrade from our pokey business DSL line to something more like bonded T1, or WiMAX, etc. We have a client who wants us to upload uncompressed 1080 :30 spots to their FTP site. We have tried it with our current line and it took over 10 hours.
I am leaning towards WiMAX which we can get 5/5 MBs for $500/month. 3 Bonded T1 runs about $999. Anyone have much experience in this realm?

thanks

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: What do you use for your business internet connection?
on May 22, 2009 at 2:27:38 am

Those are crazy prices. Here in NYC, the cable and phone companies offer business versions of cable modem and FIOS. The pricing should be under $200 a month, and will include basic cable!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 22, 2009 at 2:42:32 am

We had a fractional T1 for many years as we hosted dozens of website from in-house servers. Once we stopped hosting sites from our office, we switched to a Cable modem which works amazingly well considering all the uploading/downloading we do. Not sure of the speed or the cost, but it has been reliable.
For large files however you may be best with T1 speeds.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 22, 2009 at 2:59:27 am

Being that you are in Southern California, Moody, you can get many other options and some that are far cheaper and much faster.

Here in Paso Robles, we have a business account with Charter Communication Business Services and they charge us $399 a month for a 20MBPS down and 2MBPS up speeds on a cable modem with great service.

Check with your local cable provider's internet business services unit.

There is also Speakeasy.net that operates in your area and with Speakeasy.net you can get a dedicated T1 line account for about $399 a month or less. In your area it is likely less as there is so much competition.

http://www.speakeasy.net/promos/fatpipe/

Personally, as bad as the market is right now and with as many companies going under as there have been, whomever you choose is likely to be far more aggressive than their published prices if you hold out for a deal and name-drop a bunch of companies that "I am checking with. I will get back to you." If you do that, they will likely get you to a supervisor of or someone else who can take you to their best price.

We consolidated our two 100MBit closets that were $2500 each into two closets with a shared 1000Mbit (GigE) port on our load-balancing router that is now costing us nearly half of what we have been paying for the last couple of years to support this site each month.

The market is rough. You are fresh business. You are fresh meat. You taste good to them. They have been losing a lot of customers lately. They are hungry. Don't forget that.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
an important Postscript to the last reply
on May 22, 2009 at 3:08:03 am

Also, Moody, do not forget to get a 30 day out clause on your contract. I have had as many bad experiences with service providers as I have had with good ones.

If they are so confident, make them give you 30 days before the contract goes into effect.

This is critically important, in our opinion.

Ron & Kathlyn

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: an important Postscript to the last reply
on May 22, 2009 at 3:14:28 am

Go cable modem. We have the Charter 10 meg down 2 meg up plus we have the HD cable service and 2 line phone. Way faster than our AT&T DSL and cheaper than any T1 service.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2009 at 4:51:32 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "Charter Communication Business Services and they charge us $399 a month for a 20MBPS down and 2MBPS up speeds on a cable modem with great service. "

NYC Optonline aka Optimum, aka Cablevision - 100mbps down 15mbps up $99 a month . . . and they're blanketing their coverage area with their own wifii so you can wander around the streets aimlessly and log in and watch Hulu. I've explained to my wife why we are never moving.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 22, 2009 at 6:07:09 pm

[Craig Seeman] "NYC Optonline aka Optimum, aka Cablevision - 100mbps down 15mbps up $99 a month . . . and they're blanketing their coverage area with their own wifii so you can wander around the streets aimlessly and log in and watch Hulu. I've explained to my wife why we are never moving."

Now I am jealous, Craig. We have nothing anywhere near this in our area.

Turning green with envy,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2009 at 6:37:26 pm

I think the trade media has given this some coverage. Cablevision Ultra 100mbps/15mbps is the first of its kind in the country. I know they are making claims that it is the fastest in the USA. The amazing thing is not only is it fast it's only $99/month.

Cablevision is aggressively trying to beat down FIOS.

It's fun living in a niche area undergoing a technology / price war.

The thing is unlike Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, Cablevision is a small privately held company holding just a small area contract in between Time Warner and Comcast.

Like most (all?) Cable licenses they are exclusive to their small area but Satellite and FIOS compete and if either makes a significant dent, they're done (I suspect Time Warner would take over as they did to Adelphi in upstate NY).

BTW while Time Warner has been experimenting with monthly data rate caps (to make sure you watch your video on Cable and not the Internet), Cablevision has stated publicly they will NOT engage in such consumer unfriendly practices . . . and they will blanket their area with Wifi for all their internet customers too. They're still building that infrastructure but a couple of weeks ago I went out to Long Island (about 30-50 miles from my house) and had no problem getting my Cablevision/Optonline wifi connection.

As I said, I explained to my wife why we are never moving.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 22, 2009 at 10:27:09 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "Here in Paso Robles, we have a business account with Charter Communication Business Services and they charge us $399 a month for a 20MBPS down and 2MBPS up speeds on a cable modem with great service. "

I'm glad it works for you. I'm paying for the same service and we're lucky if we actually get the 20mbps downloads. Average is about 6 to 10. Charter has no answer for us. We're switching over to a new AT&T service that just started up around here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 22, 2009 at 1:10:08 pm

[walter biscardi] "We're switching over"

Good plan. Anybody looking to save money should definitely start with a new account, including switching. Introductory offers can be truly compelling, and are meaningful even after amortizing over the life of the deal...

....during which you'll take Ron's advice and renegotiate. :-)

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahon
on May 22, 2009 at 3:40:49 pm

Cable modems PLUS turbo.

Many comapanies have an advanced mode for cable modems and they don't often advertise them too much. For example in Maine here there is Road Runner and Road Runner Turbo is double the speed for an extra $9.95. I of course ordered the turbo because between digital cable, digital phone and road runner I felt like I wanted to give even more money monthly to time warner.

I just did the speakeasy test
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

And outside on wi-fi with my Macbook Air I got 14343 kbps download and 959 kbps upload, that is with Road Runner Turbo

That's fast enough for my needs. So if you do have cable broadband, call up and see if there is an advanced mode.

I'd really like to get optical FIOS but its not in this area yet. Someday...

Frank

Creative Cow Podcast Page
Creative Cow Podcast in iTunes

Franklin on Facebook
Franklin on Twitter
Franklin on LinkedIn
FranklinMcMahon.com

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 22, 2009 at 6:36:49 pm

I just took the speakeasy.net speed test and came in at...

...quite honorable enough for a cable modem rated at 20 down and 2 up.

Not all of the cities give me the same speed, but that is an issue with the routing and hops more than with our account here.

We don't get as good a deal as many around the world, but we do have grape vines and vineyards as our view, so there are indeed trade-offs to be made.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 22, 2009 at 4:15:22 pm

[walter biscardi] "I'm glad it works for you. I'm paying for the same service and we're lucky if we actually get the 20mbps downloads. Average is about 6 to 10. Charter has no answer for us. We're switching over to a new AT&T service that just started up around here."

We came OFF of AT&T to go to Charter, which didn't work at all for us. We signed a one year contract and it was one of the bad contracts that I was alluding to and telling Moody to avoid at all costs. We were lucky to get anything uploaded while we were there.

The magazine print files that took me less than an hour to upload to the printer on Charter, took 14 to 16 hours using AT&T. It was a nightmare.

Your mileage hopefully will vary.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on May 23, 2009 at 7:55:24 am

Thanks all for the advice.

The company that is offering us the WiMax guarantees a MINIMUM of 5MBs in each direction. They also guarantee 99.99% uptime, and for every 2hrs of downtime they refund 5% of your monthly bill. Also, they do give you 30 days to cancel if things aren't working out. They do need to install an antenna on our roof, and our landlord has decided that we need to open up our lease agreement, and to "rent" roof space will cost us $500/mo. !!!!!! This is the same landlord that doubled our rent in the past 5 years. I don't think they have looked out the window lately and have seen all the vacancies around us.

I have gotten many quotes for other services. Time Warner wants $340 a month for 20MB / 2MB. We are currently have 8MB/756kbs from them, and we are less then impressed by the service. FIOS isn't available, or any other fiber options. From Speakeasy, for 5x5 we were looking at business ethernet for $720/mo. I also have some quotes for bonded T1 that was 4.5MBs for $999. So far not one company seemed interested in making any deals.

By the way, we are using a Cisco RV082 router, that is dual WAN capable. So we also have a DSL line, and we use a load balancing mode in the router to help out when all the assistants sit on youtube all down watching crap.

Again thanks all for the advice.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahon
on May 24, 2009 at 3:21:14 pm

Here is another good site for testing internet speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 24, 2009 at 3:30:05 pm

It's the "definitive" site for speed testing in my opinion. It what our local cable techs use and what I recommend for those doing live streaming.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]