BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Looking for a better web host

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Looking for a better web host
on May 12, 2009 at 12:27:33 pm

I've been using BlueHost.com for about the past three years and when I first signed on, we got great speed and really good media playback. Now all we're getting is hammered with spam and videos that choke no matter how small we make the files. Their Tech Support have suggested I host my videos on other servers more suited to the task.

But if I'm going to do that, now I'm looking to move my entire operation to another host that is more media centric and has better control over their own users to cut down on spam. Any of you folks happy with your host services and are they responsive to your needs, especially in terms of video playback?

The only positive BlueHost has going for it now is the unlimited storage space, but that's not all that much at this time with the issues we've been having.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
Re: Looking for a better web host
on May 12, 2009 at 12:59:44 pm

Walter,

I have been using a company called hostnine for several years and have not any problems. They have great support and great up-time. They offer an unlimited plan for only 6.95 per month. I've been pleased with the hosting, support and speed.

http://www.hostnine.com

Alan Smith
Media317

Check out my blog - http://media317.com

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on May 12, 2009 at 1:11:21 pm

Try these guys

http://www.networksolutions.com

http://www.netfirms.com

I will go with one of these companies.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 13, 2009 at 1:50:40 am

We used to use Network Solutions but you can never talk to anybody.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 13, 2009 at 3:20:33 pm

[Steve Wargo] "We used to use Network Solutions but you can never talk to anybody."

We have used Network Solutions since the beginning and they have always been spot on for us. We switched to GoDaddy for about a year but it seemed too flakey to us and we didn't trust their degree of security as much as we do Network Solutions, so we went back.

NetSol has always been very good for us.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 13, 2009 at 3:35:03 pm

PS: We don't host at NetSol, we only use them for parking our domains, etc.

Abraham does use NetSol's hosting service for his personal stuff and he loves 'em.

One of the cheapest and best hosting services that I know of is HostPro.com and I used them for years for some of my side projects and outside accounts. About $100 a year and they have great uptime, lots of bandwidth, great features and their support is very good.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on May 12, 2009 at 2:39:00 pm

I use MediaTemple (http://mediatemple.net/) and absolutely love them. Compared to some of the cheaper/bargain hosts out there, they are a bit more expensive - but I love them. I have great up time, 24/7 live support and great speeds. They also have great tools for managing your servers and accounts. I also like the ability to have one grid server and host multiple domains on it.

I still buy my domains at GoDaddy, but host them all at mediatemple.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 13, 2009 at 1:49:39 am

Go Daddy

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 13, 2009 at 1:55:21 am

[Steve Wargo] "Go Daddy "

I also use GoDaddy -- they are very responsive if you need them, but you seldom need them because they know what the heck they're doing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 14, 2009 at 7:12:48 am

And, some of their CSRs and techs work for me.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 13, 2009 at 2:22:50 am

I've been using inmotionhosting.com for the last few years. They've always been very responsive on the very rare occasions when I've had to deal with them for support. Inexpensive, and Spam Assasin is pre-installed on your email server.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on May 13, 2009 at 3:20:07 am

For years we've been hosting our own website on an in-house Xserve, but I recently decided it wasn't really worth it so I sought out a new host. I used to be a web developer and so I've dealt with many, many web hosts in my day and know what to look for and what to avoid.

That said, we also went with inmotion hosting and so far it's been great. Very fast (including larger videos), partially because you can select which half of the US you are on and they will put your site in a more local datacenter. I've been on the phone with their support about 5 times (stupid MySQL issue, not their fault) and they answer quickly and know what the hell they are talking about. The CPanel dashboard is really great, has a ton of features, and their mid-level package includes everything you could possibly need for less than $10/mo

I can definitely recommend. I can also definitely recommend you avoid iPower, Lunarpages and speakeasy.net. All three are a nightmare.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on May 13, 2009 at 2:50:50 pm

I've been using networksolutions for years. I have no trouble getting someone on the phone quickly when I call.

Abraham

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 17, 2009 at 3:38:17 am

[Abraham Chaffin] "I've been using networksolutions for years. I have no trouble getting someone on the phone quickly when I call.
"

But do you host a lot of videos on your sites? I'm going to have between 20 and 30 demo pieces on my Samples page on the newly re-designed website. Currently our video playback on the Samples page is spotty. It was really good for the first 6 months I was with BlueHost, but for the past 18, it's dropped off.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 14, 2009 at 2:42:34 am

We lease servers from Aplus.net and have had pretty good luck. Our HTML served Flash videos work pretty well. We host dozens of client review websites without incident.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jesse Stiles
on May 14, 2009 at 2:46:22 am

i have been using bluehost as well with networksolutions

i use hostgator as well but i dont believe they have windows server

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 14, 2009 at 12:01:25 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll be investigating some of them and hopefully move my site over by the summer.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Baumchen
on May 14, 2009 at 1:31:21 pm

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Hostmonster.com.

Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited hosting space, great cpanel goodies, unlimited email accounts, great service, and did I mention low rates.

Cheers

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 14, 2009 at 1:28:52 pm

[John Baumchen] "Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited hosting space, great cpanel goodies, unlimited email accounts, great service, and did I mention low rates. "

They sound exactly like BlueHost. On Bluehost, however, we get spotty playback of our video clips and they said they are not a true video server host and that I should move all my videos elsewhere.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 16, 2009 at 1:02:20 am

We just had to flee from Hostway. for years they were great and then they outsourced tech support and bought a bunch of small hosting companies and everything went to hell.

We landed on Hostmonster because of a great review on CNET. However I recently found out they are actually owned by BlueHost. Could be another Hostway waiting to happen. I also read that GoDaddy had the slowest access speeds than others. Hostmonster has slower FTP downloads than we were getting with Hostway, but Hostway took our entire site and all email accounts down for a week, then got the site up and we lost email for one month until I switched to Hostmonster.

So far so good. Tech support is right there and the control panel is pretty good. Performance is adequate.

In doing my research, and I know you will find this Walter, is that in this age of YouTube and every single person putting up gobs of video, hosting companies are like health clubs. They want your monthly payment but don't offer much more. This is especially true in the shared server segment, and they all are probably right about having a dedicated server for top performance especially if you want to stream videos.

I've said this before...be sure that videos on your site load quickly and don't make people wait. You might think your videos are all that, but others don't want to wait for a big blob of an encode. Keep the bit rates low, keeps the size small. People will get the idea of what you do just fine, and in the same 15 minutes they can watch 10 short videos rather than wait for one to download only to realize it's not what they were looking for, then they are gone.

On the Demo Reels forum I am usually commenting on how painful the download was with little payoff in the end. I'll wait for a big Hollywood movie trailer, but not your sample of a local spot or a documentary that you are trying to sell. Even at 320 x 188 I can tell if you have it or not.

Check out our samples at http://www.tiltmedia.com and you'll see what I mean.

So, report back, Walter. I know you will. I'm curious if you discover what i did. the hosting industry is in trouble in general as servers fill up, tech support is bogged down with newbies and everyone thinks outsourcing to India is a viable solution.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
Better web host...
on May 16, 2009 at 8:37:28 pm

Hi Walter,

You know what, if you can afford it, I recommend having your own stuff in your shack. Verizon Communications offers a top speed of 50Mb/s for downloads and 20Mb/s for uploads with its FiOS fiber optical system. In most places, it sells this service for $140 per month. Yeah, you end up having to put together your own severs (one windows Server 2008 64-bit for video streaming and one Linux + cPanel server for your e-mails and webpage.) But it’s YOUR stuff and bandwidth is shared with no one. The only downtime is that caused by a power outage in your shack or a hard drive failure every two years if you chose to not use an SLC solid state disk.

-Paul

-----------------------------------------------
Paul Thurston
Producer
Chile

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Better web host...
on May 16, 2009 at 10:25:53 pm

Ouch. That sounds messy. I'll take the $15 per month with Hostmonster and let them worry about firewalls, down time and redundancy.

Still, I do wish there was a professional service for business owners only with guaranteed speeds and service, or at least a tier. Hostmonster does not offer dedicated servers and I suppose that is what I am describing.

This market segment is really struggling right now with the number of users that flock to the next best hosting company....a year or so ago it was Hostmonster. A little before that it was 1&1. After about two years when their user base hits critical mass they outsource service and don't have enough techs to support the servers. But they keep collecting the monthly fees even as service declines.

Seems this is the cycle in hosting companies.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 17, 2009 at 3:41:15 am

That does sound tempting Paul and certainly affordable, but I'm going to check out the Media Temple idea first and see how that is. I know AT&T has something similar to what you're talking about as far as running a dedicated line here at our current shop, but it's probable we'll be building a brand new facility next year so if I'm going to move the servers in-house, we'll do it at that time.

At this point we're building a new machine room starting next week just to give us a little breathing room for the next 8 months or so until we can get started on the new place. Good idea and I'll definitely consider that in the plans for the new space. Certainly will be nice to almost instantly have the videos in place for the clients to review instead of having to upload them. Thanks for the thought!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on May 17, 2009 at 10:09:13 pm

I'll throw one more in the mix: Aplus.net

They have been up 100% for us for the past few years, and they are pretty cheap.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Jun 7, 2009 at 5:58:29 pm

Hi Walter,

Just to add my 2 cents as a 15 year web veteran: Media Temple. We've had so many web hosting vendors, from DIGEX and MCI in the 1990s, to Broadspire, to Godaddy, Dreamhost, etc. Not to mention all the hundreds of sites we've set up for clients on dozens of other providers. Media Temple is just amazing. We love them.

P

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

Wayne Keyser
on May 24, 2009 at 5:45:37 am

You may want to check out the specs at powweb.com - I have been 100% thrilled, and their tech support is very responsive (even talking to not-too-internet-savvy folks like me).

=============

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]