BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnsabbath d'urzorates
by on May 10, 2009 at 10:42:26 pm

A local tv station is hiring for a full time video editor for a one year contract in Toronto, Canada. I also have my own broadcast design and post production company with my own suite at home. The station does half hour segments. I'm not sure what the going rates are. 1) What is the going wage to expect for full time video editors at tv stations on contract? 2) What is the going wage if I work from home with my own suite? Are the wages different? Should I be negotiating more if I use my own suite?

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: rates
by on May 10, 2009 at 11:29:47 pm

The station probably has the rate in mind. When I hire folks on a one year contract, I already have the figure in mind. I would start by putting in your resume and asking them what the rate is. It will be lower than your standard daily rate because they are hiring you for a guaranteed one year contract.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzoRe: rates
by on May 11, 2009 at 1:48:54 am

Do you know what the average going rates are? Should I be negotiating for more if I'm using my own editing suite?

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: rates
by on May 11, 2009 at 2:56:55 am

Rates vary from market to market. The going rate in Toronto is not the same as it would be in New York, Atlanta or LA.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2009 at 3:17:38 am

Should I be charging more to use my gear? or the same price in what ever they are offering? I guess that they already have a dollar amount in there head. What would the price difference be with my gear and me without my gear? for this one year contract job from the tv station.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: rates
by on May 11, 2009 at 5:16:49 am

[johnsabbath d'urzo] "Should I be charging more to use my gear?"

ABSOLUTELY your equipment cost you money.

Also keep in mind that if they are offering you any benefits then that plays into the whole overall package as well, and is another reason that the pay would be lower then your regular day rate.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: rates
by on May 11, 2009 at 11:10:09 am

If they need your gear, yes, that's a higher rate.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2009 at 12:06:31 pm

what should the rate be with and without my gear? they have there own gear they might just say come into our studio if they would have to pay more.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: rates
by on May 11, 2009 at 2:46:19 pm

Johnsabbath, you keep asking us what your rate should be. We cannot tell you what it should be. It depends on a lot of factors like your skill, your experience, your location, the current economy.

What you need to do is figure out what YOU feel you should be making and then if they offer you the job, you sit down and negotiate a rate that you are BOTH happy with.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Alex ElkinsRe: rates
by on May 12, 2009 at 11:28:20 am

[johnsabbath d'urzo] "they have there own gear they might just say come into our studio if they would have to pay more."

The benefit to them of using your own equipment is that their equipment is available for other jobs. That is why it's acceptable for you to charge more. However, they may have absolutely no other use for it, in which case they won't care that you have other equipment. Plus, given that it's a year long contract you can expect that a producer will want to sit in with you over those months. They're unlikely to want to have to travel to your place, and it's going to be difficult to bring all your gear over to them.

I work full-time for a company 85 miles from my house. I have my own gear but it is not at all convenient for me to work from home as far as the people paying me are concerned.

The bottom line is you have to speak to the company and find out what they expect to pay, and where they expect you to work. See if it sounds good to you.

Good luck,
Alex

Return to posts index

Bob BonniolRe: rates
by on May 16, 2009 at 6:44:09 pm

Here's my experience with local stations: You'll get bupkis and you'll like it. Forget the kit rental. They'll never bite. They are going to want to sign you to something that pays a flat probably, no OT. It's probably going to work out to betwen $25 and $40 p/hr depending on your experience. They are probably going to offer other features of a compensation package as well. That'll be it. And it will be take it or leave it. There are 500 editors in the greater Toronto area. Local TV is paying peanuts these days because they are making NOTHING.

Good luck,

Bob

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Live Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]