BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

YouTube - reel

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BovéYouTube - reel
by on May 8, 2009 at 2:08:20 pm

Hi all - I know this is a popular topic but I have two questions for the herd regarding footage I edited on YouTube.

1. I cut an indie short for a producer years ago. He is no longer reachable. I wish to put just the trailer (NOT the entire film) on my website and on my YouTube channel for the purpose of marketing myself. Accompanying the clip would be descriptive text mentioning that I edited the film and the stats of how it did in festivals.

2. Similarly as a promotional tool of my editing, I want to put trailers for many of the shows I've cut for my day job at a PBS station on my website and YouTube. Sure I'll ask permission first, but this is ...a very hesitant, slow-to-decide group of guys. What arguments are in my favor?

For both these instances, the intention and execution would be complimentary to the clips as well as the entities that produced them.

Any thoughts or cautions you have would be much, MUCH appreciated!

`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: YouTube - reel
by on May 8, 2009 at 2:24:01 pm

The indie doc should be fine.

The PBS stuff is much harder and you will require written permission before you move forward on that. If you're an employee, one of the things you signed acknowledges that the station owns all the work you do for them. To use it to promote yourself in a demo reel will require an Ok from the station, but know that they may be required to say "no" due to whatever restrictions are put into place by their own management, or rules above them.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: YouTube - reel
by on May 8, 2009 at 3:59:50 pm

You will find almost all clients love compliments. You usually know when your dubbing if you want that content on your reel or not and that is the time to ask the producer sitting behind you. They'll love the compliment every time if you word-smith it as such.

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: YouTube - reel
by on May 9, 2009 at 5:26:01 am

The PBS stuff is a more touchy subject, especially since you are making it very public (on YouTube no less) rather than just showing it to prospective clients. I just use a written contract with my clients that specifically stipulates that I have the right to use the work for promotional purposes, and you should probably do the same if this comes up often.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved