BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Demo Reel

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardiDemo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 1:31:33 am

I really don't know what else to say other than click "Demo Reel."

http://bearsproductions.com/

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 2:13:51 am

Holy Cow!

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 2:30:22 am

NOOOOOOOO!!! Make it stop!!

To be fair, the opening graphic was well done. Very Middle-School choice of logo, but well executed. But I find it odd that every time you see type in their carousel of bad video, it's backwards!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Christopher WrightRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 4:41:22 am

I never thought I would say this Walter, but with that excellent example of the stiff competition in your market, you might as well pack it in....

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 5:50:31 am

Man, who is the composer? I'd like to get hold of the soundtrack. (Although I think it is a little wandering and all over the board in its arrangement -- a little tightening up and simplifying it a bit more would serve the music well.)

:)

Ron Lindeboom

PS: In seriousness, I would start with the voice-over and edit an entirely new video, cut to the voice-over (which is the best thing in the video.)

Oh man, I am being ornery again.

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 9:08:14 am

While they may not be stealing anyone's business you can rest assured that they are out there undercutting prices like mad, hurting everyone in the Atlanta market. Companies like this are springing up everywhere, and the end result is clients are rapidly getting a very distorted view of what kind of price is fair. Not to be the doom prognosticator, but IMO anyone doing medium-to-lower end work is due for a serious reality check during the coming year.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 12:14:00 pm

My two favorite things.

Backwards video (and jump cuts) in the spinning wheel.

The music runs out so they just re-start it.

Obviously they are a very cheap video production company using "hollywood technology" and "hollywood graphics" but I would think you'd want to put a little more effort in showing what the videos look like rather than spinning them around on a 3D wheel. But then maybe that's the point, the viewer really can't see much of what the video quality actually look like.

They also have a television commercial that's been airing locally too.

If they're making money, more power to them, you can't argue with success and I certainly could not touch their prices. Although I wonder what their pricing is for the SteadiCam and Aerial photography, I didn't really see any of that except for a shaking aerial shot in one of the spinning videos. Hopefully that move to the two white cars was not an example of the SteadiCam.

This is clearly a case of the tools are getting really cheap and I'm sure the labor is pretty darn cheap too.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Ken HarperRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 12:57:25 pm

The Bear is looking at me.
I agree that this level of production being promoted as professional and upscale dilutes the market, and makes it very difficult to sell true quality work.

Ken Harper
Sr. Editor/Director of Technical Operations
Moving Pictures, Inc.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 1:10:23 pm

There's an on-going joke in the advertising business about self-promotion pieces. Something to the effect: "Well it's as good as we could make it because the client was really difficult to work with." Moral of the story: the stuff you do for yourself usually defines how good your work truly is or can be.

My guess is these guys (or guy singular, perhaps) are very new to production and simply don't know what they don't know. Have to say though that the promo makes it look like they've only done about three or four things in total because it keeps looping the same stuff over and over.

OK, Walt. Get your head out of the oven. It's going to be alright. They'll probably only take a third of your clients.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 1:43:19 pm

[Nick Griffin] "OK, Walt. Get your head out of the oven. It's going to be alright. They'll probably only take a third of your clients."

Too funny.

But actually it was self-promotion that prompted me to post the link in the first place. We're supposed to put our best foot forward in any promotional materials we put forth. After all, we want people to hire us so we want to look impressive to people.

So this is interesting to me that this company considers this to be the best representation of their work. It honestly looks like something from a stock 3D library we used to use back in the early 90's. They use the word hollywood twice in their voice track, but I don't see anything that makes their work stand out in any way.

What I see in their presentation is very cheap video production. If that's what they are trying to get across, it succeeds. And it's very possible that is absolutely what they are trying to do.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 2:33:53 pm

[walter biscardi] "We're supposed to put our best foot forward in any promotional materials we put forth."

Great theory... but I think a lot of people are like us, sort of the cobbler whose own children have shabby shoes.

We went for years with a crappy demo reel, simply because we didn't have time to do a good one (I know, I know, baaaad). Finally, we produced a really good one... nice and slick, great content, had Peter Thomas narrate it... really good stuff. But I just looked at it, and now it seems terribly out of date (and the last version is less than a year old).

However, in the case of your colleagues the Bears, I seriously doubt their spots are a lot better than the reel.

Unless they are making spots for less than $200, I'm not sure how they can get business... because they look exactly like $200 cable-produced spots to me.

Then again, my early work is probably on the weak side, too.....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 3:01:51 pm

whew.
Man the first reel I ever made wasn't much better. If we are always embarrassed by our last reel, we are always growing.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 3:25:13 pm

Bohze' moi, I think that demo gave me cancer.

And the logo was creepy. Why it ends with the Wayne's World time-elapse wobble dissolve is but one the mysteries of its purpose and construction.

I think I know why they called it Hollywood effects: that display looked like the MCP from "Tron".

I remember that in the 80's and early 90's the way you showed you were a hot-shot editor was by building unmotivated yet intricate 3-d spinning video cubes and walls on the Abekas ADO or whatnot. This demo feels like that, but why in Philo's name would you show reversed footage on the backs of the panels, if you could do otherwise? Even if your device was limited in the numebr of channels, a little planning and you could feed a deliberately reversed shot to the proper faces as they went edge-on and that would flip to look correct as the shot came back into view... heck, that's just simple back-timing of the footage....

I will admit I don't offhand know how to build that effect. But I can think of several ways to try it, from building it in lightwave or zaxworks, or crystal 3-d impact pro, to keyframing it out in Motion. But before I started, I would save a lot of time by asking myself what purpose that effect serves and should it be done in the first place.

Guess I'm blacklisted in Atlanta now...

Return to posts index

moody glasgowRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 4:04:29 pm

Speechless.

I'm hoping the only clients they get from this "video", are the truely clueless, and grinders.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 4:54:30 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I will admit I don't offhand know how to build that effect. But I can think of several ways to try it, from building it in lightwave or zaxworks, or crystal 3-d impact pro, to keyframing it out in Motion."

Mark,

Just thought you'd like to know, 3D Impact Pro will not load on Vista 64 machines. It's been my standby for 3D titles and models for nearly twelve years, which I create about once about every two years. So, I'm heartbroken that it's finally a dead app.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 5:57:40 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "3D Impact Pro will not load on Vista 64 machines.... I'm heartbroken that it's finally a dead app."

WOW David... I didn't know anyone else used that! I use it all the time... occasionally for simple 3D, but mostly because it can be used as such an easy/fast/good character generator. Of course, we use it on XP machines... I'll keep it clear of Vista.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2009 at 6:55:56 pm

[Todd Terry] "I didn't know anyone else used that! I use it all the time..."

Believe it or not Todd, I wrote a review of 3D Impact Pro for (oops Ron will hate this) POST MAG. in about 1996. People couldn't believe it was possible to generate broadcast quality 3D animation from an app that cost like $39.95.

Here's a 3D version of the actual Distinguished Artists Award that I created in 3D Impact Pro for a big event I created, produced, and directed at the L.A. Music Center back in the day.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 7:15:32 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Believe it or not Todd, I wrote a review of 3D Impact Pro for (oops Ron will hate this) POST MAG. in about 1996. People couldn't believe it was possible to generate broadcast quality 3D animation from an app that cost like $39.95."

In 1996, I used to read Post Magazine, too.

I don't hate Post. In fact, if I were a multi-millionaire, I'd buy it.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2009 at 8:03:06 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "I don't hate Post. In fact, if I were a multi-millionaire, I'd buy it. "

You should buy it anyway Ron... It's a natural fit for the Cow.

Now, how do you like that 3D award? Most likely created on a first generation Pentium Pro, running Windows NT 4. I have a suspicion that brief bit of animation took a full day to render.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Demo Reel
by on May 8, 2009 at 4:01:59 pm

What I got a kick out of is their offering of web design services on what may be the cheeziest site I have ever seen. I wasn't able to watch the whole reel as it grated on nerves after 12 secons but I was highly enetertained by the bear logo with the rolling eyes. Looked like a mascot who was embarrassed. lol

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Demo Reel
by on May 8, 2009 at 10:11:23 pm

I like that: [grinner hester] "If we are always embarrassed by our last reel, we are always growing."

Return to posts index

Eric NicastroRe: Demo Reel
by on May 7, 2009 at 5:21:34 pm

I think it's an OK demo reel. It's certainly not something I would run with for very long. What I found distracting was that because of the direction of the carousel, I keep seeing the backwards image of the video. The camera seemed to only be pointing in that direction the majority of the time and once you saw the image frontways, it was only for about a second. And I noticed the edges on the corner of the box in the center weren't that tight nit.

It's def not terrible, it's just OK. If they have all of that equipment they say they have, they need to show off the difficult moves they do with that equipment. Saying you have it is one thing, but showing it in action (not from behind the scenes) is what can sell. To me, you can't really tell what they've shot, it's hard to see the video.

Return to posts index

Matt SepetaRe: Demo Reel
by on May 8, 2009 at 6:02:53 pm

I want to meet the mastermind behind Bears Production. It reminds me of the After Last Season Trailer, only I actually feel bad for this/these guy/s.

Especially the logo, I mean, they were able to animate it decently, showing a little bit of competence, yet they use the spinning carousel pre-made thingy and the logo is the weirdest/creepiest thing I have ever seen... I dont even know...

Good Day

Return to posts index

Bill DewaldRe: Demo Reel
by on May 9, 2009 at 4:06:45 am

This makes me a bit sad. Someone is obviously wasting a lot of time and money on this, and its just going to end in disaster.

I was hoping for one "so bad its funny moment". The closest I got was the music loop.

Sigh.

Return to posts index

Bob BonniolRe: Demo Reel
by on May 16, 2009 at 7:03:03 pm

Here's the thing: I believe that quality DOES win the day. In my racket, the concert design thing, there are 1000 hungry kids who will work for a bunk on a bus and beer money for every one guy like me. Yet I still get work. I think, I HOPE it's because my stuff is ultra hot (as is y'alls, and I mean all y'all pretty much)... And so my stuff get's seen, enjoyed, and I get hired because I really do make other people look great.

These guys are certainly going after it... They made the reel, produced the spot, bad though they may be. They will get work from it, definitely... There are millions and millions of people with decidedly medium sensibilities, and they will be comfortable or even joyful about hiring people with equally medium sensibilities. But there are also plenty of smart, perceptive, demanding clients out there who will continue to spend the right $$ to hire pros who know how to get it done. It's a lesson I had to learn too early on. If you think a professional is hard on the budget just try hiring an amateur. Many smart people who commission video HAVE figured that out, and thank goodness.

I hope that if the zany Bears were to show up on this board we'd continue to be the wise and compassionate givers of knowledge. Clearly they need some. But they aint your competition Walter, that's for d****d sure...

Happy Saturday guys...

Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Live Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]