BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

New design/look on TV channel

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Tolaas
New design/look on TV channel
on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:33:50 pm

Hello.

We are thinking about changing the design/look on our TV channel.

Does anyone know anywhere on the net where we can find designs of other tv-stations, to get inspiration?

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day.

-Kenneth

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: New design/look on TV channel
on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:57:57 pm

Hit the websites of all the tv networks out there.

Turn on your cable or satellite TV and start watching the promos.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 27, 2009 at 1:20:39 pm

There are a half dozen or so design firms that specialize in graphic and motion design creating "looks" for television stations, cable outfits, and networks (the last one I worked with was Hothaus in Dallas).... they all have websites and should be easy enough to find by Googling.

However... they are all fairly aggressively protective of their designs, so I wouldn't be "inspired" too closely by any of them.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:14:20 pm

If you are talking about News here is a fun site: http://www.newscaststudio.com/inspirationfinder/

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:55:17 pm

Awesome link, Stephen. A quick browse called out to me just how LOUD and obnoxious a lot of contemproary American set designs are, contrasted with a generally more clean, spare, spartan or minimalist style in the British sets, particularly for straight news.

I get a headache looking at some of the FOX sets with all that red, I think it's a fire station, then I look at the British ones and it all feels like the Space Wheel from the movie 2001, very calm, lot of soft backlit glass and plexi, simple geometries, a Meisian lack of distracting non-necessary detail. Calm, serious, contemplative, is what I get from those.

On the American side, the impression I get is, hurry step right up and win a kewpie doll if you hit mikl bottles with the ring-toss:-)

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:12:43 pm

[Mark Suszko] "On the American side, the impression I get is, hurry step right up and win a kewpie doll if you hit mikl bottles with the ring-toss:-)"

No, Mark, the kewpie dolls are now reading the news on American TV.

Sometimes I chuckle that some of them look as if they are much more concerned as to how their make-up is applied, than they are as to the tragedy of the news they are reading. It's dissettling when they are smiling at the camera while reading the news about a tragedy somewhere in the world.

Ron Lindeboom

PS: Mark, I am not shining on your private email, I have been on the road and have been working with only half my cylinders firing due to an ear infection. I will respond very shortly.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:11:50 pm

Here is another link worth looking at: http://www.forbiddensky.com/

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53:24 pm

These guys did a graphics package for a station I used to work at.

http://www.giantoctopus.com/

Michael

-------------------------------
I'll be working late.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Tolaas
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:10:58 pm

thanks a lot for all suggestions. I've been through all of Hothaus' videos, and I'll look through the others as well.

The thought struck me while looking through the packaging for all these different news-programs: Does all the news-programs have the same packaging in America..? I could not tell one station from another, except one was number 5, and another was number 13, or something like that...

We don't have a lot of different tv-stations here in Norway, but at least I can see who is who quite easy...

But a lot of cool stuff, though...

thanks again,

have a nice day,

-Kenneth

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:30:07 pm

I thought about this site as I was going to bed last night. Zaxwerks is a 3D program and they have a lot of station ID samples. http://zaxwerks.com/movies/index.shtml

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Matthew Laurence
on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:28:43 pm

Ah... see, your mistake was confusing the FOX sets with sets from actual news shows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]