BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

The right software??

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BakerThe right software??
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 4:20:10 am

So after a failed first attempt and learning from past mistakes I'm looking at restarting. Question is with what program? In the past any accounting for small business software was clunky and difficult to learn. So anyone with suggestions, any stories with what you use, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Quicken, Quickbooks, etc.?

One more question. Any software for project organization?

The creative urge is the demon that will not accept anything second rate.
-Agnes DeMille

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: The right software??
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:52:40 am

Quickbooks Pro is what we've used for our company since we opened in 2001. At tax time, we simply make a copy of the company and hand it off to our accountant directly on CD. Works really well.

As for projects, we use a custom database developed for Filemaker Pro that will hopefully be available for sale in the near future to the general public. It was developed through someone I met on the Cow and I've been encouraging them to take the database public after we're done tweaking it. But you can find multiple ready-made solutions for Filemaker out there.

Also, if you do a search on this forum for Project Management or things like that, there have been multiple threads in the past 6 months regarding management software.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Chris BakerRe: The right software??
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 12:18:17 pm

Cool, thanks. I know you can get production organization software called Gorilla 4.0 through Apple but I'm not sure how good it is. Tried Quickbooks Pro and obviously I'm not a numbers kinda guy but I'll look around. Supposedly the newer versions are more user friendly.

The creative urge is the demon that will not accept anything second rate.
-Agnes DeMille

Return to posts index

Trey GregoryRe: The right software??
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:48:07 pm

I handle our company's books and payroll and I use Quickbooks Pro. It was very clunky-feeling to a non-accountant like myself, but after a few months at it, and many frustrated e-mails to our company CPA, I've really come around to love it!

In our industry it is critical to be able to track profitability of projects, and if used correctly Quickbooks can give you a useful breakdown of every project you've ever done, what it cost you, what your profit was, how long it took you to get paid, etc, etc.

I believe they make a version of Quickbooks specifically for the service industry, which removes a lot of the inventory tracking features that are designed for retailers. Will save you a few bucks if you buy that instead of Pro.

Walter is right about Tax time being a breeze too. Takes the stress right out of it.

Trey Gregory
ECG Productions - Atlanta
HD Production and Post

Return to posts index

Jeremy NoaRe: The right software??
by on Apr 24, 2009 at 6:18:22 pm

I have been working on a new web-based project management app for video professionals called ProjectBoxx. It helps you organize your projects and track time spent on each project.
You can also upload video approval versions of a project to send to your client.

If this sounds like something anyone might be interested in, we are looking for beta testers and
would love some input. For more info, check out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved