BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

health insurance redux

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Del Holfordhealth insurance redux
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 7:28:40 pm

I found the archival posts on NASE health insurance and found the comments generally unfavorable. Are there any other group insurance companies for freelancers? I'm now in the market. It seems like AARP costs per month about the same as one of NC Unemployment. That's if I stay unemployed for 26 weeks. I would have said that's very unlikely a year ago but I'm not so sure now. 34 years experience in the industry and jobs are very scarce. Anyway, other than AAA or AARP, does anyone know of a decent health insurance provider for Television people? TIA

Del
smoke, photoshopCS3, FC Studio2

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: health insurance redux
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 9:15:25 pm

Del,

Keep in mind that it is rare when a happy customer will post, whereas the preponderance of posts can skew the perception about a company because the unhappy people almost always post.

I know people that hate the NASE and I know people that swear by them. As in most things in life, the truth is usually a mixture of the two extremes.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: health insurance redux
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 9:43:42 pm

[Del Holford] "does anyone know of a decent health insurance provider for Television people?"

Del-

We obtain health insurance through an organization called Graphics Arts Benefit Corporation. I believe that this is just for our region because before consolidating with other state's organizations it was known as Printing Industries of Maryland. No doubt there's a similar organization you can join in your area.

The long and short of it is that by being part of a large number of member companies we are able to obtain coverage similar to that of a very large single employer. I say similar in that it's very high quality coverage, just not particularly inexpensive.

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: health insurance redux
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 1:08:38 am

I'm getting my insurance through the Freelancer's Union. They only offer insurance in a few states, thought.

http://www.freelancersunion.org/insurance/index.html

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: health insurance redux
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:49:55 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "I'm getting my insurance through the Freelancer's Union. They only offer insurance in a few states, though."

Yes, but in all of the research that we have done, we were unable to find a single claimant whose claims were paid satisfactorily to the member's expectation. In all of the ones that we spoke to, there were unresolved issues, unsettled claims, delays in processing and other issues.

Have you been successful in getting them to respond to you and pay your claims?

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: health insurance redux
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 3:28:05 am

Luckily, I have not yet had to file a claim. FU only started offering insurance under it's own name this year. Previously, they sold plans to freelancers at group rates from established insurers. I'm hoping it's just teething pains that you've heard about.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]