BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Legal Horror stories needed...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve WargoLegal Horror stories needed...
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:28:21 am

We just had a thread about a client wanting to use music that they have no rights to. What we do need to have are some documented cases where drastic measures have taken place against violators of copyright law. Does anyone have any leads? The best samples would be something posted on the web. The fines are huge but very rare. No one ever thinks they will be the one who gets caught and made an example of.

When I am asked to do it "just this once", I ask them this question: "Are you asking me to break the law and open myself up to criminal and civil liability and risk everything that I own? There is a reason that we own a $10,000 music library and have a relationship with a great composer."

However, if we had a 5 page legal document for them to sign off on which also required a letter from their attorney, it might stop right there. The letter from their lawyer would guarantee that they are posting a $100,000 bond to cover our legal issues. What lawyer would ever agree to anything like that?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Legal Horror stories needed...
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 2:00:46 pm

There were several instances in the past election of this happening. I think Jackson Browne was one of the artists suing John McCain I believe. There was something that was just in the news last week too I think about the whole tea bag protest thing or maybe another campaign.

Those are the examples that show up most often and you can probably do a google search on Political Campaign Music Copyright and pull up some examples.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Legal Horror stories needed...
by on Apr 23, 2009 at 1:44:35 am

I once had a client try to get me to pirate the FBI warning. lol
Bottom line.. he who puished the red button is breaking the law. I have found the best way to react is to laugh like you thought they were kidding and proceed without wavering.
Same as when they ask if I can do a page turn, really.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved