BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Music license

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob malone
Music license
on Apr 9, 2009 at 3:21:01 pm

I'm making a short video for the university I work for and I was wondering if it would be ok to take a song, such as one by coldplay, and strip the words so I can just use the music for a background music bed. I wasnt sure if that would be considered illegal or if it would be ok. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Music license
on Apr 9, 2009 at 3:29:01 pm

Ummm, yes... illegal.

Wildly so.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Apr 9, 2009 at 3:33:33 pm

Illegal, and difficult.

Why not get some music you can license from a library, or find a music student willing to help?

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Apr 9, 2009 at 5:51:30 pm

[bob malone] "I'm making a short video for the university I work for and I was wondering if it would be ok to take a song, such as one by coldplay, and strip the words so I can just use the music for a background music bed. I wasnt sure if that would be considered illegal or if it would be ok."

I think the legal name for this is a "Bozo No-No."

The fact is, you are legally barred from syncing music that you have not BOUGHT the license for, to video.

The rights to a song by Coldplay would cost you so much that it would make your student loan seem a week's allowance by comparison.

As Mike Smith points out: use something that "sounds like" that fits the bill but is royalty-free. There are many things that follow this formula. Google royalty-free music and sounds like Coldplay. I bet you find something.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]