BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

What to Charge?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silvaWhat to Charge?
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 12:26:48 am

I am talking to someone about editing 3 hour raw footage down to 90min DVDs. This would be my first freelance job, what should I charge per edited dvd? I live in NY

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: What to Charge?
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 1:12:11 am

So you know, the going rate for a manned edit suite in your market is 250/hr and the going rate for a freelancer is around 70/hr.
I tell you that just so you have barrings on the norm, knowing you are not the norm. You are buying experince in this one, they are buying a half priced deal.
I'd say throw out a flat rate because it will take you longer than a seasoned editor by the hour.
Look at it as adding content to your reel. Any money is a bonus. Ask for 500 bucks per DVD and do em all for that price if ya have to. Then next time around you can stick your chest out a little more.

Return to posts index

bruno silvaRe: What to Charge?
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 1:21:22 am

hey thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: What to Charge?
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 1:51:23 pm

It would be very useful to re-package every rate/fee/wage thread in this forum into a "sticky note" or FAQ page and we could just point to it when this question comes up.

Return to posts index

Andrew EvansRe: What to Charge?
by on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:39:57 am

that would be too easy

Return to posts index

Paul Del VecchioRe: What to Charge?
by on Apr 16, 2009 at 11:35:51 pm

Hey Grinner,

Just wondering where you got those rates from (the NY market). I'm not saying they're wrong or anything, I'm just wondering where you found that info.

Paul Del Vecchio - Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved