BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Software Purchase Question

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony BottiniSoftware Purchase Question
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 4:00:20 pm

I have a business that I am just getting going and want to move from my CS2 academic package to the CS4 Web Premium specifically for flash and dreamweaver. In looking at my purchasing and licensing options, I came across this website:

http://www.everythingoutlet.com/p_5361SFT_Adobe-Creative-Suite-4-Web-Premiu.....

Plainly, is this a scam or can an OEM purchase like this be legit. Has anyone had experience with such a purchase? I am looking to make sure I am not buying anything that is pirated or illegal, and I know you get what you pay for, but still, in a new business every little bit of savings helps. Just thought I'd look for some advice. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Trey GregoryRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 5:34:06 pm

I have never ordered OEM software before, and don't know anything about it, so I can't speak to that.

However, if it seems too good to be true, it is. This is especially true on the internet.

Another option:
Adobe offers very generous discounts if you buy a software upgrade, all you need is a valid serial from your previous version.

I upgraded our AE CS4 for 1/3 of the cost to get it new. If you already have CS2, you should be all set.

Trey Gregory
ECG Productions - Atlanta
HD Production and Post
http://www.ecgprod.com

Return to posts index

Anthony BottiniRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 5:37:39 pm

Thanks Trey. As to the Adobe updates, yes I understand that it is a great deal to update - unfortunately, I only have an academic version of CS2 so as far as I understand, an update is not possible.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 6, 2009 at 6:30:51 pm

I haven't read the EULA's lately, but the last time I did, yes, Adobe had a program to upgrade your academic versions for *some* discount. That's kind of the point for having the discounted academic version in the first place. You can ask an Adobe custoemr service rep adn ahve your definitive answer. Call them, they don't bite:-)

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 7, 2009 at 4:02:04 am

At the bottom of the ad, where it says Product Summary and Specifications, there, on the bottom line, it says "XXX (What is this?)". Click on the What is this? and it brings up a page that explains the different packaging and delivery materials. For instance, OEM means that it comes as though it was installed on a new computer. You get a disc(s) in a sleeve and there is no book and no support. But, after all, we are men and we don't need no stupid books or anybody helping us. We have the COW, man.

And now that we have GPS, we sure as hell don't ever have to ask for directions, ever.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 7, 2009 at 12:31:28 pm

Technically, an OEM package is being sold as wholesale for a system builder to install on a system and sell with the system. It is not meant to be bought by an end user.

It's not like the software is "cracked" but you may have problems installing the software on any system than the initial computer you install it on...like OEM Microsoft OS software.

...certainly end users buy this stuff, but I think if we put this in automotive or camcorder terms, this would probably qualify as "grey market". Legitimate product being sold through an unauthorized channel or at least being sold to an unintended customer base.

Oftentimes you'll see ads in the trade mags for certain East Coast "superstores" (NOT B&H BTW...they're legit) that will have a camcorder for an unusually low price, but when you call you realize that they've taken the product 'apart' and they charge you extra for the battery and extra for the charger, the manual, etc...which is another sort of a "grey market" game.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2009 at 1:42:50 pm

Why be afraid to name the bad store? Its not libel when there is a substantial amount of documentation visible from a quick google search. What bugs me most is how many trade mags take their money and run that place's ads, knowing they're bad guys.

A good vendor like B&H may cost a bit more up front, but the cheapskate ends up paying twice as much.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2009 at 2:13:31 pm

Thanks, I'm starting to get the overall "picture" with this OEM issue. The other thing that I would be concerned about with such a product would be my ability to update it in the future. I don't care if and OEM version comes in a blank package with no manual, but if you can't update it, well then its pretty worthless - I just haven't found an answer for that yet.

Either way, unless someone else has some ground-breaking info on OEM purchases, I'll probably just end up buying the normal package from adobe. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 7, 2009 at 2:18:39 pm

[Mark Suszko] "A good vendor like B&H may cost a bit more up front, but the cheapskate ends up paying twice as much. "

And see, I never order from or recommend B&H due to three horrible experiences with them. And don't even get me started on trying to return stuff to them......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2009 at 2:29:38 pm

Walter, I'm sorry for your bad experience. But this "other" place we're talking about has many years of documented baint-and-switch stories behind them, innumerable write-ups in customer satisfaction sites, and several news and news magazine video reports and "stings" by consumer reporters. Even on B&H's worst day, they wouldn't hold a candle to this "Voldemort of vendors".

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2009 at 2:39:22 pm

Mark, if you feel you can't name the "bad" store, let me know via email (bott44@mac.com) -- just because most of what I've ordered has come from B&H and I'd be curious to know the "bad" place - I haven't had any really painful problems with B&H but they certainly are a little more expensive than most.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:40:27 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Even on B&H's worst day, they wouldn't hold a candle to this "Voldemort of vendors"."

That depends on what you consider their worst day. :-)

Personally I purchase everything, including my software, from my local VAR, WH Platts Company here in Atlanta. I pay a little more from time to time, but I also have a local person who takes care of any issues that arise. Been working with them for about three or four years now and have had nothing but good luck.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 7, 2009 at 2:51:16 pm

[walter biscardi] "I never order from or recommend B&H due to three horrible experiences with them."

B&H seems to run hot or cold. People either love them or hate them.

I've never had anything but great experiences from B&H, and have probably spent well over $100K with them through the years.

I've never had trouble with returns, either, and service has always been great. In fact, they used to put a lot of their demo stuff on eBay, and their used dept manager (at the time, a guy named Marty with a very thick Bronx accent) used to call me ahead of time to tell me what was coming up. "Tought I'd tell yoouz guys what we're about to put on da eBays, knowwhaddimean?"

But bad experiences abound, too, I think Wargo has had some (I think it was him). Never happened to me, though.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2009 at 10:01:28 pm

[Todd Terry] "(I think it was him)."

yes sir. If there is a hell, it's in Manhattan, on 9th Avenue.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2009 at 9:57:35 pm

O[walter biscardi] "three horrible experiences"

They told me that I am not qualified to properly mount a lens onto a camera. Never mind that they sent the wrong lens.

I will NEVER buy anything from them.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Software Purchase Question
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 12:20:29 pm

[Steve Wargo] "They told me that I am not qualified to properly mount a lens onto a camera. Never mind that they sent the wrong lens."

Oh...right where it hurts.

As far as 'naming' the vendor... There are likely several. Most have New York addresses and they have prices on camcorders that are simply too good to be true...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]