BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Do I have to blur Canon Logo in Video?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony antonio
Do I have to blur Canon Logo in Video?
on Mar 25, 2009 at 2:54:32 am

If Im correct i can get sued if I show a logo thats not mine on a commercial video right? I have the subject holding a canon 35MM camera and for a quick second.. you can see the Canon Logo. Do I have to hide this..? and if so. .whats the best way ? Motion?
thanx.. as soon as Im done with the video I'll post it up on my site so everyone can give me there ideas and comments on my first real video..

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Mark Suszko
Re: Do I have to blur Canon Logo in Video?
on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:29:29 am

http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/pdf/cspdcomicscreen.pdf

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 25, 2009 at 5:56:54 pm

Great info! Thanks for that link, Mark.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:20:42 am

I wouldn't bother. Regardless of everything else, is the image of the camera/logo a positive or negative portrayal of the Canon Corporation?

Are you lawsuit material?
Do you have insurance?
Are you married to or otherwise related to a great lawyer?
Are you willing to stand up against a giant corporation?

Would a company that is built ENTIRELY on the art of the "image" sue you for your work?

Why not contact Canon's legal department and ask them if they care? Would Sony or Panasonic sue if you showed their logo instead? Of course not.

I have produced dozens of documentary's on Off-Road Racing, Drag Racing, NASCAR and CART Indy Cars and auto racing is a sport that is all about the hundred's of logos, company signs, banners and patches. None of them would ever entertain the though of a lawsuit. Instead, they beg us to use their name as often as possible, almost to the point of bribery. Companies that sue without cause are greed filled opportunists. I got a C&D letter from the Del Web Corporation because I titled one of my pieces "The Mint 400". "Mint 400" is a "mark" belonging to the Del Web Corporation. I immediately scheduled a meeting with their legal department and took my VHS video with me. They watched 10 minutes of it and asked me if I portrayed them in a negative light during any portion of the program or my promotional materials. I said "Nope". They gave me a document giving me the right to use their marks in any production that showed them in a positive manner. The document was open ended as far as date and everything else. On the other hand, CART, as an organization, was heavy handed and doesn't allow anything. No wonder CART died. they didn't get it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
update
on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:31:10 am

The "Mint 400" incident was in 1985 and the "Mint 400" video was 160 minutes long.

The subject of shooting in Times Square has come up repeatedly. I was told once that Times Square is a registered New York City landmark. New York wants images of Times Square everywhere possible but it needs to be cleared through the NY film office. The "Hollywood" sign is trademarked and you need permission.

I am not a lawyer.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: update
on Mar 30, 2009 at 3:39:41 am

I can offer some input on the Hollywood sign. The image of the Hollywood sign is administered by an entity called Global Icons LLC. I had to pay them many thousands of dollars when I produced the three DVD Bonus Collection of The Wizard of Oz for Warner Bros., even though I didn't even show an image of the stupid sign, I had a graphic artist re-create a different sign, but it did say Hollywood, in a completely different font and style than the actual Hollywood sign.

It seemed ridiculous to me that I could create my own artwork (I hired a motion graphic designer) from scratch and just type out the word, "Hollywood" and have to pay Global Icons LLC several thousand dollars but that was the way the lawyers saw it. It was a fairly high profile DVD release that sold a few hundred thousand copies so that was the deal.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]