BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Promoting a Video Competition - Suggestions Please

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas O'Leary
Promoting a Video Competition - Suggestions Please
on Mar 16, 2009 at 6:04:31 pm

Hi - I am promoting a green screen video competition featuring Steve Wozniak, the co-Founder of Apple, for my client. We have posted to all the Apple blogs/sites and several video contest sites, but I am looking for suggestions for getting more exposure for the contest to video editors and filmmakers. There are about $4000 in total prizes on the line.

Full details of the competition are here: http://www.scottevest.com/woz/woz-green-screen-contest.shtml

It's a very cool contest, and there are tons of great and funky footage of Steve Wozniak (also seen on Dancing with the Stars). I want to make sure people who would like to participate know about it... any ideas about where to post it?

-TJO

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Promoting a Video Competition - Suggestions Please
on Mar 16, 2009 at 11:25:29 pm

[Thomas O'Leary] "I am looking for suggestions for getting more exposure for the contest to video editors and filmmakers. There are about $4000 in total prizes on the line. "

Boost the prize money to $40,000 or $140,000 and you'll get more exposure and increased interest.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 17, 2009 at 12:35:29 am

I agree. It's a fun idea but there's not much payoff in it.

Now if you could get Woz to take the winners out to dinner...maybe get him to call in a favor with Kathy G to tag along and mock everybody...

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 17, 2009 at 1:29:27 am

get this on Digg, Facebook, reddit, gizmodo, etc - where geeks hangout.
Honestly, pro video editors have better things to do(I'm one to talk as I did a Stephen Colbert greenscreen entry :) ).

I would imagine this would be as popular with Macheads as with PC folks who hate Macs.

Mike Cohen (I use both)

Return to posts index

Thomas O'Leary
on Mar 17, 2009 at 3:05:12 am

Thanks David,

We love Woz, but boosting the prize to $40K or $140K is not practical for us or in the spirit of what we are looking for in terms of video entries. For that, we could hire a PR person or editor for a year and get a lot more bang for the buck. Essentially, we are trying to reach "motivated amateurs," recent grads or simply Woz/Mac fanatics.

-TJO

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 17, 2009 at 7:09:29 am

[Thomas O'Leary] "Essentially, we are trying to reach "motivated amateurs," recent grads or simply Woz/Mac fanatics.
"

Well, undoubtedly many here are certainly Woz/Mac fanatics (and will remain so if he quits dancing on TV immediately), but as this is the Business & Marketing Forum, few here are amateurs. We do have some recent grads though.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:44:55 pm

Try getting it posted to the "geek" tab at FARK.com and try to get mentions at DIGG, Techeblog and Gizmodo. These are good nodes to hit if the subject is appropriate and you don't mind taking the risk that people will turn it into a joke and riff of of it for a long time. But if you want web hits and want to build buzz, those are some key places where you can start a snowball rolling. But you have to do it right; a simple attempt at astro-turfing is only going to backfire on you. Be sure this is really what you want to do.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 17, 2009 at 1:32:49 am

incidentally, those jackets look cool. I can finally get rid of my Style Auto jacket!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 21, 2009 at 4:27:13 pm

You can post this on indie film sites like withoutabox.com. Also, try placing a press release here and on sites like fxshare.com.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]