BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

UPDATE: I'm about to blow a gasket

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
UPDATE: I'm about to blow a gasket
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:05:41 am

Back on Feb. 26th, I posted a thread about an emergency turn-around gig that had gone unpaid after 6-weeks. That one became even more interesting after I found out from the head accountant that my invoice had never been submitted for payment by the so-called producer. The situation then got even more interesting when said producer failed to return my phone calls and failed to respond to my emails over the following two weeks and still has offered no explanation or repair.

Then yesterday, precisely eight weeks after the date I was supposed to be paid, when the check still was not in the mail as the accountant had promised, I decided it was finally time to throw down the gauntlet. I mean, I'm as patient as anyone, but now I really was getting a bit ticked-off. So, here's what I did...

As someone once suggested, right here on this very forum, I sent an email to Dr. big boss's wife. It just so happens that, in my entire career, I have never agreed to do a wedding video, and only once have I ever agreed to do a bat mitzvah video. And, guess who the point person was on that one bat mitzvah video??? And, guess who howled with laughter at all the right times and cried buckets at all the right times? And guess who became my instant advocate yesterday?

Needless to say, within 30-minutes of sending my email to Mrs. Dr. big boss, I was contacted by Dr. big boss himself. Bada boom, bada bing... Situation rectified...

So, the moral of the story is, doing the very occasional bat mitzvah video does have certain benefits. And, it never hurts to make friends with the big boss's wife.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: UPDATE: I'm about to blow a gasket
on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:38:32 am

[David Roth Weiss] "As someone once suggested, right here on this very forum, I sent an email to Dr. big boss's wife. It just so happens that, in my entire career, I have never agreed to do a wedding video, and only once have I ever agreed to do a bat mitzvah video. And, guess who the point person was on that one bat mitzvah video??? And, guess who howled with laughter at all the right times and cried buckets at all the right times? And guess who became my instant advocate yesterday? Needless to say, within 30-minutes of sending my email to Mrs. Dr. big boss, I was contacted by Dr. big boss himself. Bada boom, bada bing... Situation rectified..."

That "someone" was the COW's inimitable Tim Wilson, and the aforesaid technique is from Chapter 7 of his "Full Contact Business Sport" handbook, coming soon to a bookshelf near you. The chapter is entitled: "Hitting Deadbeats Below the Belt -- while allowing their wives to join in the fun."

Trust me, the book won't be cheap. But with advice that works like this, it won't have to be...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 4:10:28 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "That "someone" was the COW's inimitable Tim Wilson, and the aforesaid technique is from Chapter 7 of his "Full Contact Business Sport" handbook, coming soon to a bookshelf near you. The chapter is entitled: "Hitting Deadbeats Below the Belt -- while allowing their wives to join in the fun." "

Thank you Mr. Tim. I certainly owe you for that one. What an effective technique. And damn, retribution just feels so good. As a wise man once wrote, "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 15, 2009 at 4:22:08 am

So... will you ever do business with him again?

Mark

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 4:36:30 am

[Mark Raudonis] "So... will you ever do business with him again?"

That's a good question Mark.

My gut tells me that even though I've always been there for them for nearly twelve years, and they know it, I'll probably never hear from them again. However, if I do, it'll probably be cash on the barrel from now on.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
on Mar 15, 2009 at 4:27:25 am

Wow, that's a great 'happily ever after' story!

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 15, 2009 at 1:46:42 pm

I just hope you took the gasket out to dinner first.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:51:07 pm

While this is a great story, it doesn't solve my "problem". I sit here reviewing my accounts receivable, and my cash flow, and I am feeling ill this morning. You can't call the "wife", when it's a big corporation that owes you the money, that you trusted for years.

And there is other variations to the story, where there is no "wife" to call. All of this is made worse when it's a client that you have had for years, who has been historically a good payer.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 6:16:11 pm

[Bob Zelin] "While this is a great story, it doesn't solve my "problem". I sit here reviewing my accounts receivable, and my cash flow, and I am feeling ill this morning. "

Well Bob, rather than telling you how great things are here and suggesting that the recession is just a figment of your imagination, let me just suggest to you that, if misery truly does love company, and if there's any consolation in knowing you're not alone, you are not alone. And, I can assure you, there was no wife to run to for help when my biggest corporate clients informed me recently that they are ceasing all media-related projects for the foreseeable future do to the current economic conditions.

Now, if Tim could just write a book explaining how to survive without income...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 15, 2009 at 9:22:36 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Now, if Tim could just write a book explaining how to survive without income..."

Tim is good but I am not sure that he's *that* good.

Boomer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 9:55:00 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "Tim is good but I am not sure that he's *that* good. "

Well, I have all the faith in the world in Tim, but just in case he isn't that good, or if he is, but he simply doesn't get the new book published in time, I've begun scouting-out food sources around the neighborhood as I take little Augie the dog on his constitutionals. Here in Brentwood we certainly have enough oranges, lemons, and kumquats to prevent scurvy, and I've found a few high-yielding Japanese plum trees, and some fig trees too. It's the migratory season for doves now too, but when they run out I may have to find another source of protein. Any ideas Tim???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 15, 2009 at 10:00:48 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "It's the migratory season for doves now too, but when they run out I may have to find another source of protein."

This is one of the good things about living in New York. There's always a lot of pigeons (aka rock doves), even in winter. All you need to do is hang out near a statue with a net.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 15, 2009 at 6:11:46 pm

[grinner hester] "I just hope you took the gasket out to dinner first."

I hope the gasket took you out to dinner first! Sorry, off color, I know!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 15, 2009 at 11:29:37 pm

My wife has a more compact version of Tim's advice written on the kitchen wall:

"If Mamma ain't happy, ain't NObody happy."

You can count on this like you can Maxwell's equations.

As far as shopping for squab or "ditch hawks" to supplement your protein, frankly, those corporate clients that stopped all video production are being foolish. Stop doing "vanity" projects, sure. But in a down market, you NEED to keep going out there and selling, you need to keep a brand message going out; when your competitors are hiding under their beds with the door mat rolled up, you can be out there stealing their market share, getting bigger as they shrink. It's about remaining visible and looking solid and dependable, and earning that top-of-mind spot in the customer's head.

This is OLD news I'm telling you. During WW2, when all their production was geared to war materiel, it was Ford that went out and did an ad campaign for cars they didn't even HAVE. "When better cars are built, Ford will build them", the ads said.

It got people subconsciously planning, or at least thinking about, what make of car they would get after the war was over. Mindshare. That's the battle. The guys that pulled the plug all the way are putting themselves at the back of the pack. Now you have to go tell them this in a diplomatic way, and show that you're there to get their new message out and to keep them visible to customers.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 16, 2009 at 12:16:46 am

[Mark Suszko] ""When better cars are built, Ford will build them""

I like what you said Mark, especially this Ford quote. I think I'll build my own message around that theme and then send it to my clients who are "retrenching."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 16, 2009 at 3:49:22 am

Two agreements in a week? Maybe we should consider going steady ;-)

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Mar 16, 2009 at 10:50:06 pm

amen, Mark - I've been working on a client about this - they are kind of getting it, while still more into selling features over benefits and telling people what they need instead of asking them what they need. They fix those two, they'll be in great shape.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 16, 2009 at 12:31:35 am

[David Roth Weiss] "And, it never hurts to make friends with the big boss's wife."

That does it. From now on, I am requiring the spouse's phone number on all contracts. This could really get some things going.

But, David, where do you think your future is with the "boss"? Or is she actually the boss?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Mar 16, 2009 at 4:02:23 pm

Seriously - I'll make a new field in the address book for that!

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]