BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Thanks to Nick G... audio sample

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd TerryThanks to Nick G... audio sample
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:02:53 pm

Hey Nick...

Thanks for your recommendation of Peter Gil for the narrator for the bio piece we're doing on John Paul II... nice guy.

I think he did a nice job, after we tried a couple of options to get just the right amount of Polish accent... although I have to work on his tracks a bit, his studio has some unpleasant room tone that I'll need to get rid of.

I think he sounds good adjacent to the main narrator (Peter Thomas) as well, as you can hear in this Peter vs. Peter clip...

http://www.fantasticplastic.com/media/cow/peterandpeter.mp3

Thanks again!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Del HolfordRe: Thanks to Nick G... audio sample
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:27:46 pm

Hey Todd
If you need any b-roll footage for you project the US Catholic Conference in Washington did a doc here in the mid 90s and probably has the source footage up there now. Brand new DigiBeta cameras shot the footage, which would uprez well to HD.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Thanks to Nick G... audio sample
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:33:56 pm

We might, Del... thanks for the tip!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: Thanks to Nick G... audio sample
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:47:47 pm

Hi Nick,

Peter Thomas, Jr.? Sounds younger than Peter Thomas, Sr.

Bruce

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

by on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:09:52 pm

No, not the sequel, that's the original... Peter Thomas Sr.

It dumbfounds me that at 83 he has kept the voice of a middle aged man. And a nicer old fellow you'd be hard pressed to find, he's the definition of the word "gentleman." He always does great work for us, and is soooo accommodating. Sometimes too much so... once for a commercial quite a while back he re-did a session three times in two different studios because he just wasn't happy with it. I didn't have the heart to tell him we used an early take from the very first one.

PT Jr., as a great voice as well, but he sounds nothing like dad.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: Thanks to Nick G... audio sample
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:15:26 pm

Yeah, I agree, Peter is pretty awesome to work with (hired him last quarter). He gave me his personal contact info without my asking him in case I needed any changes.
Here's the link if you care/interested: http://www.bmmp.com/resources/ACUM+100th+$28edited+clip$29.wmv

Cheers!
Bruce

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

by on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:29:53 pm

Yeah, PT's really great, one of my favorite people to work with, ever. I don't get to use him too often, maybe once every couple of months or so. Always insists that I call him directly at home, probably makes his fatcat NY agent cringe.

We've become pretty good long-distance friends. Turns out that Peter's wife Stella is from my city, and that his late father-in-law actually worked with my mother in the same NASA office a zillion years ago.

Very cool old guy.

And one of those cases where his "regular-guy-just-talking-to-you" voice is so totally unlike his "narrator" voice. So different than guys like Hal Douglas or the late Don LaFontaine that pretty much sound like themselves all the time. The first time I talked to Peter on the phone 12+ years ago, I had a hard time believing it was him... and then he "turned it on." Magic.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Thanks to Nick G... audio sample
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 9:59:18 pm

Todd,

You're welcome and glad it worked out so well. Both of these guys are unique talents.

I've never worked with Peter Thomas and, at the moment don't have the sort of thing for which he would be appropriate. Best talent I've EVER worked with (and no doubt now long gone) was Norman Rose -- the original VOG (voice of God) and top talent on both coasts. Never ceased to amaze me that I could get him for the same scale as I'd have to pay the local sportscaster.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:33:32 pm

Hey Nick....

Hmmmm... I'm not familiar with Norman Rose... I'll see if I can't scare up some archival tracks on him.

It breaks my heart that I never got to work with Hal Riney before he left us about a year ago. I had one project I wanted to use him for a few years ago, but it never happened, for some reason.

We seem to be losing these guys... we did one of the last sessions with Don LaFontaine before this untimely passing last year, and John Leader retired on the same day.

Someday I really want to use Ed Grover, too (Visa... it's everywhere you want to be), but the right gig hasn't come up yet.

Again, thanks for pointing us to Peter Gil, he's doing some more pickup tracks for us tomorrow...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]