BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

door to door

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wes koetjedoor to door
by on Mar 11, 2009 at 11:37:58 pm

I am Planning on heading out Door to Door tomorrow to sell web videos.
I have brochures and business cards ready to go. What am I forgetting that businesses will want to see?

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: door to door
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:27:42 am

Your laptop, a small digital video camera, a mic & a prepared 1-minute script or their brochure. Have them read it, grab it and put it on a mock-up site right then and there. Then show them great examples you've created when you have a budget and some time. Know in advance exactly what you want to sell them and at what price point. It may be hard to get in to talk to the right person - everyone's schedules are jam packed anymore. Ask for an email address to whom you can then send an custom message - I'm talking about an individual message like "Hi Mr. Koetje, I stopped in to see you today to demonstrate the many practical and engaging ways you could use video to help sell your product/service via email and the web. Blah, blah, blah..." Maybe not so stuffy as that but you get the idea. If it's corporate America you're after, you need to include the I.T. guys too.

Good luck!

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: door to door
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:13:56 am

[wes koetje] "I am Planning on heading out Door to Door tomorrow to sell web videos."

I am a bigger fan of not just stopping buy random places, take a little time and drive around looking for places that you think your product may be good for. Then go back to the office and look them up on the web first and actually see what is on there web site, after all you are trying to sell them web videos.

Doing a little research about the people that you are going to approach will make you much more prepared when you actually go and talk to them.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Bob BonniolRe: door to door
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:05:27 am

ABSOLUTELY know what your targets do, who the principals are, and what your service is going to bring. I get 5 to 10 cold calls a month from folks who want to work for us. I'll bet if 10 call, then 9 DO NOT know what my business does, which is an IMMEDIATE disqualifier.

SO hunt for targets, but then educate yourself, take your presentation to the next level with preparation...

MODE Studios
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: door to door
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 6:23:07 am

It's my opinion that door-to-door is probably a quick way to irritate people and lose out on otherwise decent prospects. I don't know of anyone just sitting around waiting for a salesman to show up and demo something they are selling. It could be seen as imposing and presumptuous. Unsolicited sales calls are bad enough...

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

wes koetjeRe: door to door
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:36:30 pm

Thanks All,
I think I will hold off on the full out door to door, until I have the mock website built and I think doing the research and going in prepared is a great tip. I had some businesses in mind so I will start with those and then expand my "knocking"

Would you go as far a preparing a mock website for each company or simply a generic one. I was thinking about taking screen captures of their existing websites and then overlaying a demo video. How valuable would you say personalization like this be?

Thanks for providing insight into your business and helping us grow and mature ours.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: door to door
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 6:49:46 pm

Not a big fan of door to door - who is to say you will actually get in to see the decision maker? I guess it depends what type of businesses you are targeting.

Return to posts index

Kris SimmonsRe: door to door
by on Mar 14, 2009 at 7:26:00 am

Door to door is definitely NOT the best course of action. I suggest testing your "website videos" marketing message/pitch with existing clients and colleagues before "taking it to the streets." Existing clients and colleagues will be more open to your ideas and will be a much easier sell than those you meet while making cold calls. Another option should be to discuss your web video services with people at business socials, networking events, etc. I've found that you can qualify a lot of people simply by talking to them without visual aids. I wouldn't worry about customizing your marketing materials/demos until you have a handful of interested and qualified prospects. Good luck!

Kristopher G. Simmons

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved