BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Distributing DVD projects on-line to make money

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce BennettDistributing DVD projects on-line to make money
by on Mar 10, 2009 at 1:14:14 pm

From time to time, I see posts from people wanting to know how to distribute their projects on DVD in order to make money from it. I stumbled on this link for “CreateSpace” (in the bottom corner of the Webpage, it says it’s an company):

Anyone have any experience with this company, or heard of any reviews?

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Distributing DVD projects on-line to make money
by on Mar 10, 2009 at 1:43:08 pm

I read some profile articles on it. Amazon takes over the grunt work for you in exchange for a significant cut of the profit on each disk, production is on a just-in-time, on-demand basis.

Discmakers has a somewhat similar partner program, but don't have Amazon's marketing muscle or high public profile.

I think it is definitely worth a shot for a small publisher starting out, testing the market. I had a relative self-publish a book they wrote thru Amazon; not a huge moneymaker, but OTOH, he more than broke even, to hear him tell it. Which is probably not the case if you just buy a pallet of blank media and mailers and try to burn and mail orders from your home.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Distributing DVD projects on-line to make money
by on Mar 10, 2009 at 4:08:50 pm

I agree - if just starting out - use on-demand fulfillment.
We do a lot of direct mail to our customer base, resulting in decent orders by phone and website. But we also sell our books using Amazon and book distributors. Sure they take a piece of the action, but the goal is to move product.
With books in particular, we have pallets of merchandise stored off-site in an undisclosed location. But our printer has offered to store the inventory and drop ship our orders - we may consider this.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Distributing DVD projects on-line to make money
by on Mar 10, 2009 at 4:16:10 pm

CreateSpace is a revamped company, once called "CustomFlix," that at one time actually had its own Cow forum. They never had much action here at the Cow, but they eventually hooked-up with Amazon, became a major supplier of indie DVD titles to the Amazon library, and were later acquired by Amazon.

All I know about them now is that they have expanded and are into everything now, DVDs, CDs, books, etc., and they take a fairly hefty cut of sales.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Connie SimmonsRe: Distributing DVD projects on-line to make money
by on May 6, 2010 at 7:06:45 pm

Hi. I have been selling the DVDs of my PBS series and another series that I produced using in-house resources, and it was taking too much time - taking it away from what I really need to be doing.
I just started using Lynx Fulfillment in Oleans, NY, and I think that they will be a good partner. I had searched for a fulfillment house who could deal with a smaller number of orders - many had daily minimums far exceeding my current sales. The owner at Lynx told me that they like working with small companies.
I gave them my inventory (currently 18 different DVDs), we both get the orders from my shopping cart, they send them out that day, and my company doesn't have to do it anymore!
If anyone wants to know more information, please feel free to contact me.
Best,Connie Simmons

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved