BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

A Tragic Loss

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Coots
A Tragic Loss
on Mar 5, 2009 at 7:46:44 pm

I got my start in visual effects and production at a company that has, in many ways, been a significant and positive force in the industry. They bucked trends in favor of an entrepreneurial, DIY approach, and as a result tripled in size every year and turned out some of the best work out there. Their leadership worked tirelessly to support and enrich the industry, and are responsible for several of the best books available on visual effects and film production for the DIY artist. As if that weren't enough, despite their tiny size and immense workload, they still found time to create some amazing software that is in wide use today.

While you may not have heard of them, the loss of The Orphange is really being felt here in the Bay Area, and represents a dramatic loss for the industry as a whole.

This post is a tad late since they closed up shop in February, but I just felt like sharing this as homage to Stu Maschwitz, Jody and all the others who helped me launch my career. They have been role models for many of us, myself included, and will be missed.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: A Tragic Loss
on Mar 5, 2009 at 8:05:18 pm

WHAT???????????????????

The Orphanage CLOSED????????

Oh man... I had no idea. Guess I live in a cave. Too bad, their work was really absolutely top notch (and had a great logo, too).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Mar 5, 2009 at 8:13:07 pm

I must live in a cave as well, because I know and worked with a lot of those guys and I only found out today. Such a bummer.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Mar 5, 2009 at 10:56:26 pm

Very sad indeed.

Maybe the Orphan-exes should move to Atlanta and work for Walter. He seems to be the only one I know now who always seems to have more work than he can handle.

Oh, except a recent article on MSN had the 10 most "depressing, unhappiest" cities in the U.S. to live in, and Atlanta was #10, right behind Cincinnati. Ouch!!

http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=18184152#10

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:09:16 pm

Really??

I rather love Atlanta, every time I get a chance to visit.

Then again, I kinda like Cincy pretty well, too.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 6, 2009 at 1:41:25 am

[Christopher Wright] "Maybe the Orphan-exes should move to Atlanta and work for Walter. He seems to be the only one I know now who always seems to have more work than he can handle. "

If I could I would.

[Christopher Wright] "Oh, except a recent article on MSN had the 10 most "depressing, unhappiest" cities in the U.S. to live in, and Atlanta was #10, right behind Cincinnati. Ouch!! "

Ah, but Money Magazine rated Buford, GA as the #3 city in American to start and operate a business. Happens to be the town I live in and it's really really cheap to operate a business here. Maybe that's why we're so busy?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:20:51 pm

True, we probably pay more in rent for our studio than your entire monthly overhead. And let's not even get into the taxes and fees California levies on its business owners...

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:24:10 pm

[Brendan Coots] "True, we probably pay more in rent for our studio than your entire monthly overhead. And let's not even get into the taxes and fees California levies on its business owners..."

Yep, and now with the tax incentives Georgia initiated last year, we're in a movie boom right now. Hard for folks to find crews because there are so many movies lined up to shoot here.

High taxes is the main reason why I've never relocated back to upstate New York as much as I would love to move my company to Rhinebeck, New York. I absolutely LOVE that area and would still like to move back there one day, but we're simply not a big enough company to be able to afford the move.

The low taxes and great quality of life up here near the lake are the two main reasons why we've stayed in this area and the small size of the company is what has kept us so successful.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:46:09 pm

[walter biscardi] "The low taxes and great quality of life up here near the lake are the two main reasons why we've stayed in this area and the small size of the company is what has kept us so successful."

That, and the fact that you have the world's coolest studio digs to schmooze your clients doesn't hurt either. ;o)

Hopefully, my new recording studio I am building now will have a similar effect on my client base in the days ahead.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:52:12 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "Hopefully, my new recording studio I am building now will have a similar effect on my client base in the days ahead."

As long as the sauna is warm and the music is hot, things should be totally groovy.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 6, 2009 at 7:58:03 pm

As an Atlanta and Georgia refugee going on 8 years, I still have nightmares that I live there and this whole California experience has been a dream.

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:39:05 am

I've known Stu for many, many years - well before The Orphanage, in fact. They don't come much better in any walk of life. When I read his ProLost post last month I was stunned by his honesty, and I could feel the loss and heaviness in his heart in the words he wrote.

I wish Stu and all his Orphans well, it's a crazy,, messy world out there right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]