BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

changes in hourly-rate for post

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim pearce
changes in hourly-rate for post
on Mar 3, 2009 at 11:47:28 am

Hi,

If you're giving a customer an hourly rate for a job, do you still charge the full hourly rate for tasks that you're just waiting for a computer to finish (i.e. file conversion, rendering, DVD burning), or is a discocunted rate applied, or maybe do you not charge anything (but then say do the processing at night when you're sleeping)? Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: changes in hourly-rate for post
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:09:57 pm

If your computer is doing something for a client, and you cannot use it to do work for another client, someone has to pay for this time.
We charge a fixed hourly rate for editing times the hours worked, plus a project management fee, which serves as a catch-all for unbillable time.

Mike

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:13:29 pm

[tim pearce] "If you're giving a customer an hourly rate for a job, do you still charge the full hourly rate for tasks that you're just waiting for a computer to finish (i.e. file conversion, rendering, DVD burning)"

Yep.

For overnight or out of office tasks like a long render, I charge 1/2 the normal hourly rate. I'm not there but the computer is still working.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Mar 5, 2009 at 6:10:49 am

Yes, I would charge unless the render turned out bad or if I was just trying something "extra" to see how an effect turns out. If it's my decision to try something that takes longer to render than the client asks for, I don't charge for that. Time and expertise is really all we sell. It certainly isn't the pieces of plastic or the uploaded electrons.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]