BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Vehicle leasing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd TerryVehicle leasing
by on Mar 1, 2009 at 5:44:40 am

Hey gang...

Interesting quandry here...

Like a lot of people in our biz, my company leases vehicles (we don't lease anything else, but for vehicles it makes sense... budgetary/expense/tax-wise).

We presently have a lease on a Jeep... I drive it as my personal wheels (because I'm cool), and we take it on tiny shoots that don't require a grip truck full of gear (also, proof that I'm boring, it's my third identical black Jeep in a row).

Well... the lease on this vehicle is about to end in a few months, and I want another one (see?... boring... but at least predictable).

Chrysler is now out of the leasing biz... just not doing it anymore. We've always leased either directly through the dealer (which, btw, is one of our automotive clients), or through a dealer-arranged finance company.

Sooo... anyone here ever lease vehicles via an outside leasing company?... not dealer-affiliated?

And no... I don't want to buy the one I have at the end of the lease. I know how it's been driven. :)

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Vehicle leasing
by on Mar 1, 2009 at 7:55:29 pm

Outside of Honda I don't think there are very many companies leasing period. I've had one very very bad experience using a company called Genesis leasing out of California, but that was for equipment. I've never leased anything since.

Good luck on finding the information, I can't see how leasing a car through a third party company is going to be a good deal, but maybe it's out there. I'll definitely watch this thread to see what kind of answers come back.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Christopher WrightRe: Vehicle leasing
by on Mar 1, 2009 at 8:30:09 pm

Yes, switch to a Toyota vehicle (Toyota Financial Services).
They are having some great deals on leasing now.
My last 6 leasing vehicles have been through them.
I have also never had mechanical problems with any of their vehicles.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Vehicle leasing
by on Mar 1, 2009 at 8:41:31 pm

[Christopher Wright] "Yes, switch to a Toyota vehicle"

Ugggh.... but I'm a Jeep guy. Have been for years and years.

Sometimes it's style over substance, ya know (the fact that I also ride a finicky British motorcycle would sadly attest to that).

Todd Terry
Creative Director

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Vehicle leasing
by on Mar 2, 2009 at 2:36:10 pm

[Todd Terry] "but I'm a Jeep guy. Have been for years and years."

At least you know in advance which parts are going to fall off. Yeah, I've had Jeeps too. They're kind of like an Audi: Great at first but problems after X number of miles.

Todd, doesn't your dealer have a recommended leasing company? I know hat some credit uunions have leasing packages as do some banks. The thing to watch out for is the "end deal" which is what takes place when the lease is over.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: Vehicle leasing
by on Mar 1, 2009 at 9:04:48 pm

[Todd Terry] "Chrysler is now out of the leasing biz..."

There's a chance that Chrysler will soon be out of biz altogether. I applaud your effort to keep them afloat!

Post production is not an afterthought!

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Vehicle leasing
by on Mar 2, 2009 at 2:58:37 pm

Interesting and diverse responses...a good resource.

As far as leasing goes, I did a lot of leasing during the 90's when I had a bigger business and multiple vehicles, etc.

Here is my recommendation:

Not all leasing companies are huge, you may have several based locally. Often you can establish a big pool of leasing capability and just add/subtract stuff as needed. Cars, trucks, VTRs, cameras, etc. For accounting purposes, everything is immediately expensable, and you have some immediate purchasing power in this environment of stingy financing.

I'd always have an accountant who works for YOU properly examine all paperwork before you'd sign to make sure you're getting the best deal possible on the capital, but if you go with someone local, you at least have somebody you can visit in person and grab around the neck if a serious discussion needs to take place...

One thing on leases. DO NOT get a lease with a predetermined buyout term/price. You won't survive an audit with this as it's strictly another version of a purchase agreement in the eyes of most taxing authorities...

Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Vehicle leasing
by on Mar 2, 2009 at 3:40:45 pm

Thanks guys, good advice...

Actually we never ever lease anything (and don't intend to)... except vehicles. We've found it makes good sense for vehicles, and little sense for anything else... at least in our shop.

And yes, we have a good CPA who has been with us for more than a decade that always chimes in with good advice about that kind of stuff.

I'll need to explore this more, maybe there are some options. We got this vehicle (and several others) from a dealer that is one of our clients. While they own several dealerships throughout the southeast, last year they sold the one here in our city. We will probably travel to do a shoot with them at one of their other stores before our lease is up, and I will have the opportunity to ask the owner himself "Hey, what's the deal?" I did want to hear from the group what some other options might be.

And just for the record, Steve... I am not a Chrysler fan by any stretch... but I do like Jeeps, and I have to say that over the last 10+ years I've never had one lick of trouble with any of them, but maybe I'm the exception to the rule (and just as an aside, notice you never hear a cute girl at the beach say "Hey man, cool Toyota"). Speaking of parts falling off..... aren't you a Harley guy? Haaa...just kidding.

Todd Terry
Creative Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved