BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David GhastAnyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 27, 2009 at 11:11:08 pm

Is there a good site that explains the insurance situation in small productions? Some of the questions Im having trouble finding answers to are:

1. I rent a house for a few days, does the rental owner's home owner insurance cover any damage done to the property, or do I need some sort of insurance as well? Do I need to inform the owner of all the people who will be on the property? If I need insurance, do i have to list everyone as well?

2. I'm doing a closed door (read: nudity involved) shoot and have opted to have one other person come on as temporary help, do i need to make them an employee, or can i just pay them out of pocket? Is there an issue with insurance if i opt to pay them out of pocket?

3. Do I have to hire post-production people as independent contractors (for this example, assume there is only one), or can i pay them out of pocket as well? Is there any insurance liability if they are working on their own equipment on their own property?

I guess the crux of these questions is to what extent, in very small productions, one can just pay off the actors and help without bringing insurance, W2's, and 1040's into it.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 27, 2009 at 11:26:01 pm

[David Ghast] "1. I rent a house for a few days, does the rental owner's home owner insurance cover any damage done to the property, or do I need some sort of insurance as well?"

You need to have liability insurance a plenty of it. If anything happens while you and your crew are on site, it's your dime.

[David Ghast] "2. I'm doing a closed door (read: nudity involved) shoot and have opted to have one other person come on as temporary help, do i need to make them an employee, or can i just pay them out of pocket? Is there an issue with insurance if i opt to pay them out of pocket? "

They're just a freelancer, you pay them. They will be covered under your liability insurance.

[David Ghast] "3. Do I have to hire post-production people as independent contractors (for this example, assume there is only one), or can i pay them out of pocket as well? Is there any insurance liability if they are working on their own equipment on their own property? "

This is standard operating procedure. You pay the editor as a freelancer. If anything happens on their site while you're editing, that's their problem. Now if you started it, they'll probably sue you to recover, but if you're using someone else's facility for work, you're covered under whatever they have.

No matter how your work it, 1099's will be required for anyone you pay over a certain amount of money.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

David GhastRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 28, 2009 at 2:13:13 am

a certain amount of money? Any idea where i can get the specifics on that amount?

Now is liability insurance a catch all, meaning you have it and it covers anyone who gets hurt while working with you, or do i have to specify every person for every project?

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 28, 2009 at 12:36:58 pm

[David Ghast] "a certain amount of money? Any idea where i can get the specifics on that amount?"

I believe (I'm not an accountant or attorney, blah, blah, blah, but) the threshold for the Internal Revenue Service (US) is $600 per year. I understand that to mean $599.99 doesn't require a 1099, but $600.00 does.

1099's are due at both the IRS and in the hands of the contractor at the end of the year. I believe the deadline is end of February but we always try to get ours out in January.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 28, 2009 at 12:44:42 pm

[Nick Griffin] "1099's are due at both the IRS and in the hands of the contractor at the end of the year. I believe the deadline is end of February but we always try to get ours out in January. "

Actually I'm pretty sure the end of January is the official deadline and I thought the amount went up to something like $900 recently. I'll have to check with our CPA on that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 28, 2009 at 12:59:17 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's end of February because I recall that 1099's are due a month later than W-2's which are due 1/31. But, I too will have to check with my accountant.

Return to posts index

Craig McGillivrayRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 28, 2009 at 9:26:34 pm

I use these guys for production insurance:

Complex Corporation
535 Stevenson St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 864-8123
(415) 864-8726 fax

worth every penny.

Return to posts index

David GhastRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 28, 2009 at 10:48:23 pm

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to getting insurance from an out of state company? I ask because im not in california, and would like some variety when price shopping.

Return to posts index

Adam DeierlingRe: Anyone know of a good production insurance resource?
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:31:40 pm

I use http://www.FilmEmporium.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]