BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Freelance in Chicago

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Grant Bussinger
Freelance in Chicago
on Feb 24, 2009 at 5:09:22 am

Hey All!

So I'm new to posting to the forums, I usually find amazing information by just searching through the threads. Forgive me if this post is redundant.

I'm a freelance motion graphics designer, editor, and videographer. Self taught, I've been doing this since April of 08 and have done some pretty big projects. I was primary designer, editor, and animator of the entire DVD release for a PBS kids host, a motion graphics designer and compositor for a few corporate videos, director/editor for a couple music videos, and videographer for bunches of gig videos.

My problem lies now in marketing my services to new clients. I have the references, the reel, and a tangible amount of experience considering, I need now a general direction to throw myself.

I'd like to focus on corporate promotions, motion graphics, signage, et cetera.

What do I (or anyone else for that matter) need to do? Who do I send materials to, who do I call, what can I expect?

Perhaps check out my reel and previous work to get an idea of what I have done?

Here is a collection of some of my work, the reel should be at the top.

And here is my excuse for a website.

Also, kind of unrelated but I would also still like to know how freelancers, designers, and agencies get those really big projects (Station Idents, MTV Spots, et cetera). Way out of my league, but still curious just the same.

Thanks everyone, your thoughts and feedback will be much appreciated!

-gRANT
originallgb.com
vimeo.com/originallgb

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Freelance in Chicago
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:44:38 pm

You've been doing that less than a year??

Good gawd, son... you're pretty darn good. You should see some of the reels I get from kids with a lot more "experience" than you. They really stink up the place.

I don't have any real advice for you on how to get work though (others will chime in to that, I'm sure), other than to say I wouldn't hesitate to call you if I needed something you can do.

Good job.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Leon Grant Bussinger
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:08:07 pm

Todd,
Thanks for the feedback, you are more than welcome to call!

I was working sales for ralph lauren while I pursued my acting/modeling career last year when I picked up a copy of after effects for fun, it kind of snowballed from there.

I really appreciate the kind words, it's refreshing because I am always on motionspire or blogs like that with AMAZING work and after awhile I start to question my own aesthetic.

Thank you again!

-gRANT
originallgb.com
vimeo.com/originallgb

Return to posts index

Trey Gregory
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:47:48 pm

Grant-

"My problem lies now in marketing my services to new clients. I have the references, the reel, and a tangible amount of experience considering, I need now a general direction to throw myself. "

Throw yourself at EVERYTHING and keep at it. This industry has a LONG sell cycle most time, particularly in freelance work. Be enthusiastic and VERY aggressive. It's a competitive market, you need to stand out and be the 1st person they think of when they need video.

"Also, kind of unrelated but I would also still like to know how freelancers, designers, and agencies get those really big projects (Station Idents, MTV Spots, et cetera). Way out of my league, but still curious just the same."

Most station Idents...."You're watching Fox 35..." are done by the promotions department of your local affiliate. Any of the Network ID's are usually done by the net's corporate promotions dept. MTV's promos are mostly done in-house as well. I have a friend who used to work as a promotions producer at MTV, she told me that there were a few companies that they worked with for graphics, but that about 90 percent was done in-house. This was several years ago, so things may have changed there since she left.

Trey Gregory
ECG Productions - Atlanta
HD Production and Post
http://www.ecgprod.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:00:45 pm

FYI, Grant... I just tried to email you, it bounced back as undeliverable. Gimme a shout sometime.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Leon Grant Bussinger
on Feb 25, 2009 at 6:20:03 am

Thanks for the advice, I'm working on doing just that: throwing myself at everything. Its hard to not think about falling on my face though.

-gRANT
originallgb.com
vimeo.com/originallgb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]