BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

follow-up

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Asselin
follow-up
on Feb 21, 2009 at 12:54:34 am

Hi;

Just a follow-up to a previous post asking for feedback on my new website http://www.effectivebusinessvideo.com/index.html

I'd like to thank everyone who chipped in and put me in a position to where I now feel comfortable using this site as the key to my marketing efforts. Just a few notes before I go.

As many of you thought I have received some negative feedback to the overall tone of the site which is decidedly less than formal. On the other hand I have received offers to quote on doing webwork for some of the people I have shown this site to. I'm not sure I have all of the skills I need to go for this but money is money.

Once again thank you to everyone.

Dan

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: follow-up
on Feb 21, 2009 at 1:48:38 am

[Dan Asselin] "...but money is money."

Boy, in this economy, truer words were never spoken.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 21, 2009 at 3:40:01 pm

It's certainly square one.
When pitching a video to a company, I have never gone all the way back to pitching video... but THE video we'll be making. I'm not sure companies still need so much hand-holding. They know what video can do for them. The pitch, in my opinion should revolve more around budget than what feels like an educational video from the 80s. To me, this site weeds out potential high paying clientele.
I dug the subtle nuances on the site though and I do think you could pay some bills with some web design.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Feb 21, 2009 at 4:38:22 pm

Thanks Grinner;

I agree with your assesment almost completely. Sitting back and looking at the site today I wonder if I am trying to avoid large clients and huge projects. This sounds strange but I have always been happier bouncing from small job to small job than letting a
single piece of work dominate my life.

Guess I'm living proof that the only thing stranger than this business is some of the people in it.

Dan

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:50:15 pm

Brother aint nothin wrong with that. Gravitate to what ya love and you'll always be the best at it.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 21, 2009 at 5:08:36 pm

You may not think that your web site is one of the great looking sites on the net, Dan, but I have to say that it is one of the most effective sites for a corporate video company that I have seen.

You communicate clearly what it is that you do and do not do, what your goals are and how you accomplish them, as well as how your client is a key part of the process without it requiring a ton of their time.

In all of this, you leave the client with the feeling that they are dealing with a pro who understands their concerns and how to make it work for them.

Never apologize for this website.

Never.

This site works. I have seen piles of production company websites that don't.

You done good, Dan.

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Feb 21, 2009 at 5:19:07 pm

Dear Ron;

Thank you very much for the kind words. I am very gratified by your comments especially based on the fact that I know you have seen much in your time in the business.

You gotta know I am keeping a copy of this handy to look at when I need a boost.

Once again thank you so much for your time and all the best.

Highest regards;

Dan

Dan Asselin
Effective Business Video
Core 2 Duo 2.6
2 Gig Ram
Pretty Well Adobe Everything

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Unfindable
on Feb 23, 2009 at 5:31:35 pm

Your site is unfindable. It's all pictures. There is no text for search engines to look for. You have some meta tags but no content text.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Unfindable
on Feb 23, 2009 at 6:08:02 pm

While I would agree that text is important for most sites, in this case, Steve, I think that his presentation is far more likely to work with the people that he sends to his site -- which is likely to be what it is most used for and by. The loss of the odd "wander by" that may come from a search engine, is -- at least in my opinion -- not as big an issue as the directness of his site in communication his focus and ability in light of what a prospect may be looking for.

Just my thought (though accomplishing both types would be the far more advantageous position than either of these alone).

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Feb 23, 2009 at 6:42:25 pm

Thanks Ron;

As you can see by the post below sent directly to Steve I am on the same wavelength as you are here.

I have laid out for Steve my rationale in what I hope is an understandable way. By the way if I ever do find a way to have a mostly visual site AND get the "wander by" traffic I will be sure to share it with everyone.

Thanks again for your time.

Highest regards;

Dan

Dan Asselin
Effective Business Video
Core 2 Duo 2.6
2 Gig Ram

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Feb 24, 2009 at 1:21:21 am

I'll throw in my $.02. You can get both the search engine traffic and the referred traffic by simply editing keywords into the HTML. Search google for how to insert metatags into the code for your web authoring program. It's very easy to do and you don't need any text on your site to get really high rankings very quickly.

On the site itself. In my humble opinion, busy business people aren't going to take the time to watch all those videos just to learn about what you offer. Even though the videos are all on point, there's an awful lot of stock footage and animated stills in them. They're not bad, but they're certainly not top-of-the-line when it comes to corporate video. Ditto on the voice. Clients will assume that's the quality of VO they can expect.

My guess is you'd attract clients that have small to modest budgets who are looking to "throw something together." If that's your target, great. But if you're going for high-end corporate clients too, I think they'd pass your site by very quickly even after a referral.

There's not a thing wrong with the design and layout of the site. It's quite quirky and fun. But I know very few corporate folks who are in the mood for either. The corporate people we work with are overworked, stressed, harried, and being pulled in 6 different directions on 12 different projects. They want someone to take projects off their hands to where they can watch it and say..."change this, change that, replace this...etc." They want stuff taken off their plates. So spending 20 minutes watching video on a website won't be high on their list of "things to do."

One other minor thing for me was there were a lot of images and icons I wanted to click on, but when I moused over them, nothing was there to click. Things like road signs, little guys with circular crossouts, etc. The main page also has music that plays that I couldn't find how to turn off. That's really annoying. There were 3 little TV's with spinning logos in them. Neat, but again I wanted to click them for more stuff. But no dice.

I'm certainly not trying to tear you ideas or your site down, but from our experience with the corporate world, you're going to eliminate a lot of people right off the bat by making them work for the info they want "right now."

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:09:56 am

Thanks Chris;

As you have suspected I am, at the present time, aiming at clients with small to mid-size budgets.

I know that I don't have the patience for huge life-engrossing projects nor do I want to project that as a possible avenue at this time.

Your idea about embedding keywords into my code is one I will definitly follow up on, in fact I might pay someone to do this as I may have reached the limits of my Dreamweaver (6 weeks) skilset.

As for the music on the 3 tv's page I am taking that out tonight as it annoys me too.

Thanks for your time Chris;

Dan

P.S....If I think of anything small and interesting to add I think it would be a good idea (as you suggested) to add some clickable items to some of the images and icons.

Dan Asselin
Effective Business Video
Core 2 Duo 2.6
2 Gig Ram

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Feb 23, 2009 at 6:36:34 pm

You are absolutely correct Steve and on the surface it may seem like a mistake but here is my rationale.

I work with quite a few business people in my area and not one of them, including those who spend money on professional search engine optimization, are happy with the amount of clientele they get from standard searches.

By far they get most of their business from contacts they make themselves or any of the standard tricks of networking.

Let's face it if you're not on page 1 you are invisible. That's why I decided not to sacrifice the look of my site to gather what would most likely be a disappointing return.

To me the website is simply a place to refer people whom I have met by other methods. I am also in a bit of a rock and a hard place situation as well. That's because, as a proponent of corporate video I would like to show that I have confidence enough in it to base my success upon it. (Understanding fully that for most of the people I work for video is an addition instead of an emphasis point)

I also understand that this is why I have found it hard to find a corporate video business which devotes more than just a few percentage points of it's content area to video itself.

And just another thing by the way. In all my searches of corporate video sites before working on mine I found that one of the most used phrases to pop up in the business description was "EFFECTIVE business video". So I took that name for myself as a potentially good search handle.

Of course I could be wrong but, at the every least, I have gotten some work as a web designer and my clients seem happy with this rationale.(I don't mention the fact that it's only about 6 weeks since I first opened Dreamweaver)

Now I need to find more time to actually do the marketing that will really determine my success or failure. Of course, just as I got things to where I feel comfortable giving it a push (thanks to some people on this forum) a couple of small jobs came in that are labelled RUSH so I am sidetracked. But no complaints about any work. No sir not from me. Not at all. Not even a little etc. etc. etc....

Steve I would like to thank you for the generous use of your time.

Dan Asselin

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's brutally cold, wet and windy and I understand why people spend their whole life saving money in order to move to places like Arizona when they retire

Dan Asselin
Effective Business Video
Core 2 Duo 2.6
2 Gig Ram

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 23, 2009 at 8:14:19 pm

We get about 20% of our business through search engines and the remainder is networking or referrals.

I did forget to mention that your site is very clean and to the point. I found it extremely easy to navigate, fun in fact. It shows that you think outside the box.

However, the voice behind the video clips was very flat and lifeless. I don't do my own for a very good reason.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Feb 24, 2009 at 12:14:58 am

Agreed on the voice for sure. As soon as I get the time I'm going