BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Ideas Pricing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel DragonIdeas Pricing
by on Feb 20, 2009 at 9:28:53 pm

I am currently working a few projects ideas...

They will be in many different formats (documentaries, cartoon series, 10-15 minutes spots, etc.). Although I'd like to present them as co-producer, I'd like to get some pricing as to how much a raw idea might sell.

Lots of factors come into play in determining the pricing, potential broadcasters, exportability, producing cost, its shear potential. What I'm looking for is an input to help ready myself a little, you know what they say about swimming with sharks right? Pricing north of the border are definitely different than those south, but it will be helpful to know both.

Thanks for your input

A shark swimmer,
Samuel Dragon

Samuel Dragon

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Ideas Pricing
by on Feb 21, 2009 at 3:43:19 pm

I suppose the reason we cannot copyright ideas is because ideas are worth nothing. Brain-storming great content is the easy part. We all know what would be really cool and the question is who among us can make it happen.
Take the time to create treatments, protect those then go pitchin'.
In todays day in age, it's often quite realistic to go ahead and create it then pitch the real thing. Concepts are not in short supply.

Return to posts index

Roy SchneiderRe: Ideas Pricing
by on Feb 21, 2009 at 4:19:40 pm

Grinner is right! If I could get paid for show concepts, I'd be a rich man. If I could get paid for an idea that I had, but someone did before me I would be a rich man. If I could get paid for the treatments on my computer right now, I would be a rich man. Hold on, maybe I can still make them happen!
Best of luck

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: Ideas Pricing
by on Feb 24, 2009 at 1:31:08 am

I have to agree with Grin and Roy. Ain't nobody gonna buy your ideas unless they're packaged with script treatments, show formats, budgets, experienced crew attached to the project, and quite possibly even a pilot episode(s).

We've pitched some ideas to cable networks and gotten as far as having executive producers assigned from TLC, but that project took us a year to develop and we had a 16 minute pilot that was basically a complete show missing one segment from our show format. Ended up we couldn't agree on what it would take budget wise to produce the shows and TLC was unwilling to partner in the production, only buy a complete season of episodes.

I know Grinner just recently sold an idea he wasn't even pitching! But only after years of pitching other ideas and making many contacts along the way. Not to mention accumulating years worth of samples to show he can actually get the work done.

Nobody here wants to dash your dreams. But you'll have a lot better chance of success if you know the obstacles up front, and go into pitches prepared. If you pitch ideas to networks or other producers and you don't have all the details thought out, they're not going to have much confidence the idea can get out of your head and onto a TV screen or website.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Samuel DragonRe: Ideas Pricing
by on Feb 25, 2009 at 10:42:47 pm

Thanks alot guys,
I'm quite a realistic guy, these advice were exactly what I was expecting. I find them rather motivating. It points out what I need to work upon quite neatly.

I want to avoid at all cost looking like a not so sure guy when it'll come down to pitching my idea. The business financing is slightly different in Canada. Thanks for your input!

Samuel Dragon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved