BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

What am i worth?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Patrick Debbie
What am i worth?
on Feb 19, 2009 at 5:11:30 am

I’m revisiting a post I left a few months back about my not so healthy work situation and how I should approach negotiating a new contract. Of all the phenomenal advice I received from the replies as well as from what I’ve gathered from other posts I’ve become much more knowledgeable on the biz. Some of the best advice was to move on and find work elsewhere, which is still part of my ultimate plan. In preparing for this big move though it has become clear to me that I’m not as financially secure as I’d like to be. So I’m going to give it another year or two before I break free.
Through the vast resources on this sight I’ve been able to get a good understanding of how freelancers or post houses devise pay rates, but I’m still a little confused as to how the real world of production would value my current job situation.
I’m approaching my fourth year in the entertainment department of a professional sports franchise. My first year was a paid internship after graduating college. I’m now a permanlance contractor paid at a yearly salary with no benefits. I’m on retainer with the organization to shoot, and edit team related content, and do light motion graphic work that will end up in two shows produced in house, the teams website, the video board during game day, and sales packages for the marketing and community relations departments. Because I edit most of the stuff I shoot I’m also filling the role of producer whether it’s on location or in the edit suite. I work out of an in house studio the team supplies, which includes a small shooting set and three Final Cut machines. Since I helped bring Final Cut infour years ago I’ve become the software and hardware tech-of-sorts on many occasions. My schedule is the basic 9-5 M-F all year round except if there’s a home game on the weekend, which I work as well. Of course if there’s a big projects long hours tend to accumulate. Towards the end of the summer the team begins training camp for a month where I put in about 12-14 hours days 6-7 days a week.
What would a job like this be worth at a yearly salary?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: What am i worth?
on Feb 19, 2009 at 3:02:38 pm

Your employer's job is to pay you as little as possible... this revolves around what you bring to the party vs what you are asking for.
In general, you are worth 8 bucks an hour until you know what you are worth.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 19, 2009 at 3:34:42 pm

[grinner hester] "Your employer's job is to pay you as little as possible..."

That presumes a lot about all people who run a business, doesn't it, Grin?

I know a number of business owners/managers that don't fit that description at all.

Sure, especially in today's business climate it is true about the majority but there are many fair-minded people that run businesses also.

Man, I hate to disagree with my friend, Grinner. :o)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 19, 2009 at 5:37:11 pm

[Ron] "[grinner hester] "Your employer's job is to pay you as little as possible..."
That presumes a lot about all people who run a business, doesn't it, Grin?
I know a number of business owners/managers that don't fit that description at all.
Sure, especially in today's business climate it is true about the majority but there are many fair-minded people that run businesses also.
"

I agree. I chose to work for the company I work for because I feel the owner is very fair-minded. I've worked with the gang at the COW and I chose to work with them over their competitors because they are fair-minded. Henry Ford was able to get some of the best employees because of how he treated them. But at the end of the day, like Grinner said, you're worth what you say you are.

Sorry to get side tracked, Grinner, I loved your article in the magazine.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 20, 2009 at 2:22:39 am

No, I hear ya and agree to a point.
I like to pay people what they are worth but if large companies did it, they'd not be in business at all.
It comes down to relationship. Small shops are better at this for obvious reasons. They are the ones more apt to pay above scale most of the time.

Return to posts index

Mike Patrick Debbie
on Feb 20, 2009 at 2:30:41 am

I have an idea what i'm worth, but I have yet to find a person in a similar situation that i can base my salary off of. Hence the reason why I'm posting on the COW. I've been basing my numbers on what freelancers get paid, but since my work is steady i know my situation comes at a discount. So far, i've calcualted that there paying me at nearly a 50% discount, which seems a tad bit unfair to me. No?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 20, 2009 at 6:48:00 pm

I'm not a hugely religious person, but one of my favorite bible stories is that one about the guy with the vinyard, who starts the morning's harvest with one crew, but over the course of the day, sees a need for moer men and keeps hiring on more guys, even just for the last hour. Comes time to pay everyone, the guys that started in the early morning complain" "hey, you're paying those guys the same as us, we worked all day, they just worked an hour!"

Foreman says:

"Did I pay you exactly what I promised I would pay you, to the penny?"

Worker: "Well, yes, to the penny, but..."

"And isn't it my money to do with as I please?"

..."Well, yes."

"Then don't hate on other people getting a good deal when it was not at your own expense."

And what I take away from that is, if you're getting paid what you think is fair, go ahead and compare to others who do similar work, as a rough guide to see that you're not too farout of line, but OTOH don't beat yourself up over someone else's success, and don't try to gauge your own happiness by whether or not you make more than some other specific guy. Like some kind of sibling rivalry with people unrelated to you. You will never be happy, truly, doing that. I did that for a while, and I'm glad I stopped.

Chase the fair deal, not so much the outrageously great deal.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 20, 2009 at 7:17:09 pm

The other side of that is used too.
"we can't pay that beciase have always paid this." has never had anything to do with me or my bottom line. Now, I have the right to pass on a low paying gig but it always struck me as odd when folks threw around wages in the past to haggle mine. I'm like, so hire the dude ya let go, man. My bills have not changed based on his performance.

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Feb 20, 2009 at 7:27:15 pm

Mike:
I have been in the sports TV business for a lot of years. Your situation is not uncommon. Most of what are termed as glamour jobs hire young guns to work hard and earn little. In most cases the only way to really improve your financial situation is to move on.

The industry has had a paradigm shift in the last few years, teams did not have quite the amount of in-house production as they have now. With the low cost of equipment and a never ending supply of young talent to run it, they pay as little as possible. Here are some examples of #'s I have heard

Union Editor/Tech in NYC $85,000 base + OT + Benefits (the company does not like to hire Full-time anymore

NY team shooter editor Dept head $60,000

Houston in-house arena team guy $325 a day

LA Team Editor $45.00 an HR

NY College + HS shooter $200 a day (4-6 hr day)

These are just rough #'s from some people I know. I hope it helps.
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]