BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

how to license my footage for a TV show?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davis Moorehow to license my footage for a TV show?
by on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:54:13 am

Much thanks in advance for any advice -

My footage is being re-edited into a segment on a TV show. What is the name of the license agreement that would allow me to contol the length of time and manner in which the video footage is used?

I am donating the footage for free, but would at least like to retain control over its usage. Are there templates for this sort of thing, or is an attorney necessary?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: how to license my footage for a TV show?
by on Feb 11, 2009 at 5:39:21 pm

Whatever you do, don't pay an attorney to write boilerplate for a free or low-paying deal. If you're going to survive this business you need to learn to write basic agreements and deal memos yourself. When there's a real money, your estate, or your entire business on the line, that's a different matter.

In this case all you need is a simple one paragraph agreement called a footage license or usage agreement. Just state the facts:

For a fee of ______________ I hereby __________ grant ___________ one time usage of x-seconds my video footage depicting ____________ to be used only in the project entitled __________ . I retain all rights to the footage in perpetuity.

By signing below you agree to these terms.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Davis MooreRe: how to license my footage for a TV show?
by on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:19:15 pm

Thanks! Very helpful information to have -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved