BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

ftp site recommendations

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david grantham
ftp site recommendations
on Feb 9, 2009 at 4:30:35 pm

Anyone have a recommendation of an ftp site to use to upload sizable files (15 minute - 350 MB) for clients to download? THe free sample ones either don't work ( which engenders scepticism about their pay versions) or have size limitations. Or they want a visa number anyway, which I'm leary of giving (in general, and certainly without a recommendation from a satisfied customer.) I don't mind buying time - seems fair - but I'd like to do so from a provider with a good reputation.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: ftp site recommendations
on Feb 9, 2009 at 8:29:26 pm

do you have a company website? Just setup a subdomain like domain.com/download - password protect the folder and then post your files in there via basic html pages. We have a php script that automatically displays any files in the folder.

Mike

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 9, 2009 at 9:42:36 pm

Thanks Mike, I don't have a website.

Just trying to upload something for a client to see. THought I could do it on one of the many service providers. THere's reference to SCreencast in another post, and I set up a free account there, but the upload gets interrupted about 50 megs in, as it has with other providers. They're looking into that. I'm pretty sure I've down and up loaded bigger files of other types to other sites before from this computer via wirelss router to an ADSl-connected modem, but this doesn't seem reliable for this particular purpose.

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 10, 2009 at 12:18:17 am

It appears that circumventing my wireless modem and going directly into the adsl via cable enabled the upload. Thanks for your comments.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:05:32 pm

I highly recommend YouSendIt.com. Not FTP per se, but a secure email service that supports up to 500 MB free. Because it's a distributed pipeline, I find that it's much, much faster than FTP.

It's also much easier. You don't need to explain to the client how to use FTP, or tell them how to get to the file, or tell them passwords AGAIN, or worry about them poking into files they don't belong in - they'll get an email with a secure link, and once they have an account, they just click on the link.

The account just wants a name and email. You can save the names that you use most often in an address book. No spam, ever.

The free version of the service supports up to 100 downloads of a single file, and automatically deletes the file after 7 days. You can pay a few dinars extra for more features -- branding, unlimited storage, etc. -- but the free version RAWKS.

Even comes with plug-ins for Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Aperture, Office, etc., so you can send files for review directly out of the applications.

Seriously, this thing is off the hook. I guarantee you'll never use FTP again.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Feb 12, 2009 at 1:40:33 am

Right on, Tim. We use yousendit after having good experiences on the reviewing side. I echo your recommendation.

Return to posts index

Simon Stutts
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:54:04 am

We just started using drop.io

It's got some great free features, and best of all - is easy to use for your clients. Check it out.

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 11, 2009 at 7:56:55 am

Well, as long as all are plugging their favourites, i should report how Ipressed I am with Screen cast. I had some minor issues usin the Screencast site ( mainly due to my own mistakes) and an email to their tech support about my free account was almost immediately replied to with an offer to check it all out. I'm quite impressed with them.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2009 at 5:42:13 pm

[david grantham] "I had some minor issues usin the Screencast site ( mainly due to my own mistakes) "

David,

Why is that no surprise?

Slow down, take your time, start reading the manuals.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:14:51 pm

I wish the manuals had been of some help with some of the current concerns I have had on my system.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:30:59 pm

Just yanking your chain to see if you still have a sense of humor...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 11, 2009 at 7:06:00 pm

after two monhts of crashes I barely have a sense of reality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]