BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

new website

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Asselinnew website
by on Jan 20, 2009 at 6:29:38 am

I have just put a website on line for my new business and would really appreciate some feedback. But I would also like to offer you some background story first because it is a bit different.

I have been in and out of video creation since 1983 and have been
freelancing steadily since 04' for a media company doing mostly DVD Authoring and direct-to-dvd low budget releases.

However I have always wanted to do Corporate work because of my long-term involvement in sales. So, since my long-term freelance gig just went "poof" courtesy of the recession I figured the time was right to start "Effective Business Video".

Now having watched enough business video over the years I have seen enough boring stuff and hope to be able to offer my customers something with a bit of a light tone. I also understand that some subjects simply rely on storytelling and technical efficency.

I have also noticed that the corporate video sites I have browsed don't seem to want to use video to sell their own services so I am using mostly video on my site. Please note that while all of the pages are up the only videos there at this moment are on the main page and the examples.

So please have a look at
and tell me if you think I am out of my mind.

Thanks Everyone;

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: new website
by on Jan 20, 2009 at 6:53:21 am

I like it.

It's goofy on one hand, with some really nutty/creative graphics that kind of make you wonder at first -- and you tell us "business is supposed to be fun," which is kind of a wild concept during a recession. But, you state your objectives so well and in such an entertaining way, that by the time your video is done, we wind up with a feeling that you're really quite a clever and creative marketing dude who seems to have some very pretty exciting ideas.

It's easy to dance to, so I'd rate it 4.8 Cows...

Good luck with your new concept Dan. I hope you will keep us informed about your progress.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Dan AsselinRe: new website
by on Jan 20, 2009 at 7:07:15 am

Thanks David. Any comments are welcomed but you and I know that
positive feedback is always welcomed even more.

Thank you again for your time;

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: new website
by on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:09:18 am

I think you've got something there! With ever-decreasing work forces, training who's left is a tough job and humor & creativity make for good messages.

2 notes on the site: NOT A BIG FAN OF ALL CAPS. And till your videos are done, take out the TV thingy all together of put a graphic or pic in there telling me something else. Don't let people know something is under construction, 'cause if I come there next week and it's not fixed/updated, I think that's how you'll handle my project. (Although we all know the real reason is that we're so busy with client stuff we couldn't possibly have time to work on our own materials.)

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:29:33 am

Steve I thnk you're right on both counts. While I think I may wait on the All CAPS thing I think I need to pull a couple of all nighters and finish the other 4 Videos ASAP. One thing that is both a problem and a blessing is that I haven't done any real marketing or optimization yet so I have a bit more time. But not too much!

Thanks again for your time;

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: new website
by on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:16:25 pm

I agree that ALL CAPS is difficult to read.
Is that your voice narrating the video on the home page? Sounds a bit amateurish - I would switch that out to a proper narrator.

Nice Photoshop work.

I like your concept, but show examples of "not using text" to get the message across. Corporate folks love PowerPoint, so it takes perseverance to convince them there is another way to go. There have been some threads on this forum about corporate videos (need for them vs lack thereof) so there are opportunities if you know where to look.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:25:25 pm

Thanks Mike;
I agree with everything. Especially the voice. No matter how many
audition tricks I apply to my voice I still sound like I need
ESL (English as Second Language) courses. I will be replacing my voice ASAP.

I have read the threads regarding Corporate work and where to find it. I'm hoping I look in the right places.

Thanks for your time and input;

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:48:46 am

Hi Mike;

Just wanted you to know I was paying attention regarding letting people know they need something more than text when it comes to PowerPoint.

Have a look if you have the time

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: new website
by on Jan 22, 2009 at 8:22:33 pm

Well whatta ya know! I gotta go get me a new bike!

After careful analyzation (read: Stella Artois) it must be the greater white space between the lines that makes it work for H-D...

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Terry MikkelsenRe: new website
by on Jan 21, 2009 at 5:15:11 pm

Nice home page (that's all I could devote time to). Effective Business Video is nice too. "...we make digital tools for your business", does that include custom computer programming, web site databases and integration? The marching mouse was distracting - one march to the TV = kind of cute, march back off screen = "ok, now what?", march back and forth again = distracting / annoying. Lastly, who said business was supposed to be fun?? I want to find that guy and punch him in the nose. How about, "business is supposed to be profitable, and with EBV we can provide the effective tools to help make that happen."

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2009 at 7:24:12 pm

Thanks for the time Terry. To answer your comments.
1....I think I may change the wording as you are right about the other things my lead paragraph may make them believe I can offer.
On the other hand I have contacts in all of these areas and would have no problem accepting a finder's commission. (as long as I tell the client of course)
2....Yeah I think I have the same opinion of the mouse as you do now
3....Business IS supposed to be fun and I'm not sure our customers want us to walk in to see them with a cloud hanging over our heads. I would hope that looking at my website clients will see that maybe I can inject a bit of fun into the work I perform for them.
As someone who has just lost clients worth 90% of my 2008 income I am convinced that having an upbeat attitude is what got me those clients in the first place and will get me the clients which will replace them.

Once again thanks for your time Terry

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: new website
by on Jan 22, 2009 at 5:37:51 pm

Hi Dan,

Your Website “treatment” took me way back 16 years ago when I first got into this biz. I started out as a salesman for a small post house. As a young, inexperienced salesman who had to get his own clients, I cold called every day, all day.

My cold calls resulted in 2 main groups of potential customers: 1) businesses that were currently doing video production, were completely happy with their vendors and had no interest in talking to me, and 2) businesses that didn’t do any video production (or had thought about it in the past) and had to be convinced/persuaded that their business needed video production.

The second group was very challenging. First, I had to sell them on doing video and then come up with a price that they could justify paying. Typically, they were businesses that were very hard to sell and many were “grinders” (search the COW on grinders for more information). Lots of work and a small percentage of profit/sales from this group.

When I visited your Website, I felt that you are targeting my group #2 and it is taking the place of a salesman (versus concentrating on showcasing your projects, talents, value added services, professional experience, etc.). I think that many “high dollar” businesses that are looking for video production services may be turned off by your approach.

Very nice graphics and easy to navigate.

Just my thoughts…

Good Luck,

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2009 at 7:42:27 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I am truly mindful of the facts you have presented to me and am thankful that I have done my own
site so I can change it on the fly if necessary.

I agree that tis site is meant to take the place of an always cold calling salesperson and am, at this time, hoping to generate a few medium warm leads from it.

I also guess that, at this time, I wouldn't feel comfortable working for the big boys anyways so that's not an issue.

Once again thanks for your time and I will be sure to keep everyone up to date with how this is working out.

(P.S....I have already made some real changes to this site based on the input I have gotten here just in case you may have thought that I am stubborn to the point of lunacy)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved