BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Green Screen Rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reggie SpiresGreen Screen Rates
by on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:15:26 pm

Can some of you guys list your Green Screen Rates.. no edit just raw footage shot in your green screen studio and delivered on beta

Reggie Spires
Magic City Group
Magic City Productions
Magic City Advertising

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Green Screen Rates
by on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:38:34 pm

Well, for some reason in the past most folks on the COW have been somewhat reluctant to reveal their individual rates.... it's never bothered me though...

Shooting on our stage (or location for that matter) is generally $300 an hour, no matter what the format (whether Beta, DVcam, HD, 35mm, whatever)... if that is for a project to be posted here.

For "hand off the footage" projects like the one you described, our rate is generally $400/hr.

We have the two different rates because the overhead on shoots is farily high so we really don't make much profit on shooting... we basically give away part of the shoot in order to get the edit, where the overhead is very low and the profit is higher.

Is "magic city" THE Magic City?... as in Birmingham?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Reggie SpiresRe: Green Screen Rates
by on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:45:56 pm

It is .. Good Ole Birmingham.. Thanks for the reference price

Reggie Spires
Magic City Group
Magic City Productions
Magic City Advertising

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:48:33 pm

Wow Todd you are right up the road .. I would love to come see your operation sometime ..

Reggie Spires
Magic City Group
Magic City Productions
Magic City Advertising

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:50:47 pm

[Reggie Spires] "Wow Todd you are right up the road .."

Yep, I was just about to say that.

I would hardly call it an "operation," but you're welcome anytime... we're tiny tiny, the dime tour is just a nickle and only takes about three minutes to complete.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:58:53 pm

I bet I got you beat ... Basement of my home ... The Great Magic City Production Studio's .. Oh and in the corner is the other arm of our business Magic City Advertising...lol

Reggie Spires
Magic City Group
Magic City Productions
Magic City Advertising

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:29:14 pm

[Reggie Spires] "I bet I got you beat ... Basement of my home"

Yes you do... we are happy that we now have a small but pretty decent facility.

BUT... I do have you beat in hindsight... first year of the company 12 years ago was lonesome me solo at home in the taken-over dining room. Had to think about getting a real place after the FedEx guy caught me in my boxer shorts a few too many times.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:36:59 pm

I will be picking ur brain because that is where I am.. are you around the week after Christmas?

Just email me rwspires@bellsouth.net

Reggie Spires
Magic City Group
Magic City Productions
Magic City Advertising

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Green Screen Rates
by on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:14:33 am

I've seen lower prices for this in other areas of the country (from $185 to $300/hr. for green screen shooting), but I'd put money on the fact that Fantastic Plastic is worth every penny.

Quick story...I had a guy quote me $75/hr for a greenscreen shoot once back around 2001... then I found out that he was planning to use a prosumer DV camera and hand off the miniDV tape for me to edit with my Media 100. I found out that he also didn't have a broadcast quality monitor OR professional scopes. Just a green drop cloth, a basic light kit and very limited experience...

Needless to say, I passed on that "generous" offer. (It's not cheaper if you have to re-shoot!)

What I would have given to have the built-in keying capability of today's NLEs. I forget how much we priced Ultimatte back then, but I remember it was out of our range.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2008 at 6:36:57 am

[Timothy J. Allen] "I've seen lower prices for this in other areas of the country... but I'd put money on the fact that Fantastic Plastic is worth every penny."

Ehh... kind words, but maybe, maybe not. I'd certainly not try to oversell our greenscreen work... it's definitely not our specialty (personally, I hate greenscreening and do it only when I have to... I'd be hard pressed to even remember the last one I did here, it's been months at least).

Sooo... our rate for greenscreen is probably a little high, I'd bet better bargains could be found. The rate ends up being highish because it's the same rate as any other kind of shooting here... even though it's somewhat simplier (in theory) than, say, a complicated location shoot. Unfortunately, here a very simple shoot ties up the same space, equipment, and people as a complicated one does, so the rate is the same.

Plus, we don't have a permanent perfectly-lit greenscreen area... it would be set up and lit for a specific shoot. Bigger houses that do a lot of compositing shooting will have the luxury of larger stages often with areas dedicated for matte shooting... there you might find a better base rate plus the time savings of at least a background that is already good to go.

All that being said... great lighting for matting is an art in and of itself... as Timothy pointed out, a bargain might not be such a bargain if you have to do it again.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Green Screen Rates
by on Dec 19, 2008 at 7:28:09 pm

[T2] Unfortunately, here a very simple shoot ties up the same space, equipment, and people as a complicated one does, so the rate is the same.

And Todd, that's a point that should be addressed. Many folks starting out have a tough time figuring out rates for different types of jobs. Once you figure out the equipment, taxes, and labor overhead, establishing rates really isn't that difficult. I might not like the rates that I have to charge to cover overhead, but they are logical and based on reality rather than emotion... even though I'll admit that I've cut my rates down to not making a profit on a job or two that I really wanted to do. (Sometimes experience is worth more than cash.)

Also, I think the fact that you know your limitations and don't oversell your capabilities demonstrates business acumen. There's value to the customer when they know what to expect and can trust that you are honest about the level of service you provide.

So, you may not have a permanent green cyc set, but at least you are prepared to deal with the complications that can come with a chroma shoot instead of merely hoping that it turns out well for the client.

-Tim

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: Green Screen Rates
by on Dec 25, 2008 at 12:29:59 am

Is this a quote for the greenscreen studio alone, or with a grip and lighting? Or, to do the whole thing including camera and crew?

In LA, I did a commercial in a Van Nuys greenscreen stage where just the stage was $1000/day. And it was bargain, really (it was big), even tho I needed to rent lights and bring the cam crew.

---------------------
http://www.geniusmonkeys.com
Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]