BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Finding a buyer for a concept

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil WeaverFinding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 3:37:59 pm

Not sure if this ad was aired in the States, but it was huge in the UK in 2008:

What's interesting is that an agency came up with the concept and filmed it without a commission and without a buyer. It was only afterwards that Cadburys came along, saw it, loved it and bought it.

Now let's say I have a brilliant idea for a commercial, one that could become one of the most memorable advertising images of all time. Let's say that the beauty of the idea is that like the gorilla ad, the ad idea in itself isn't product specific - it could be created and then almost any product could be applied to it, from soft drinks to video game consoles to cars.

Let's say I also have the wherewithal to get the ad made. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get it seen by the types of companies I think might be interested in buying it?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 4:26:30 pm

There's a company that does something like this, called thought equity. They shoot and buy video packages like video clip art that can be re-mixed into local cable spots, stuff like that. You might approach them with it and see if you can get it sold a bunch of times.

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 7:08:42 pm

It's hard to believe they would pay big money to license that music for a spec ad.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 7:18:27 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "It's hard to believe they would pay big money to license that music for a spec ad."

Agreed... if that was really produced totally on spec, I bet they didn't license the music, at least not up front. Or had some kind of cheap license just for demo purposes. The broadcast license for that track would have been many many tens of thousands of dollars, at minimum.

All that being said... as an ad, I don't quite get it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Neil WeaverRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 7:48:08 pm

I think it tapped into the British sense of humour...
My point is though, what a great way to flog a concept. I'd love to know how to get mine to the right people!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bob ZelinRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 10:40:39 pm

Believe me, I am not trying to discourage your ambition, or your creativity. But I am seeing more and more people on this forum stating and asking "I am a creative genius - I am the best film maker, documentary maker, concept guy, musician, composer, artist, graphics person, actor, dancer, musician, recording engineer - so how do I make money with these skills".

It bothers me that more and more people seem to feel "entitled" because they have talent, and ability to do something. There are countless professionals on these forums - the best cameramen, the best lighting guys, the best editors - etc. The way that you "make it" is that you POUND THE PAVEMENT, and work your ass off. There are a LOT OF MAGAZINES, but all of us flock to Creative Cow. "How did they do it ?". This is what "seperates the men from the boys". Get your ass out there, and start selling yourself. GET A JOB. Go to work for an ad agency. There ain't no free lunch. Build a reputation making great spots, and you can go independent, and get wealthy - IF YOUR CLIENTS think that you are as creative as you do about yourself.

"But I dont' want to work - can't someone just hand it to me - I am so damn talented - I don't want to pay my dues, and go thru all the bulls#$%".

I doubt that there is one professional on these forums that is "sitting on his hands" while the "calls come in" for all of their work. Professionals have to constantly be convincing everyone (agencies, production companies, etc.) that they are wonderful, and they should keep using them, because there is ALWAYS the next creative guy banging on the door. And if they are fortunate, they can afford a REP that does the "banging on the door" for them. (that's called an agent).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2008 at 11:01:06 am

Thanks for the response Bob. Let me set you straight about a couple of things.
I've worked in broadcast television for a decade now - since graduating in fact. My work for my previous employer was nominated for a Royal Television Society Award, (highly prestigious in the UK) and a BAFTA - our equivalent of the Emmys.

In 2007 I quit my job to set up an independent production company. Despite this being at the onset of an economic downturn, we have done pretty well for a first year company, gaining several clients and a number of commissions against companies that have been around a hell of a lot longer than us. Currently, I'm focusing on building the corporate side of the business up in order that in can fund the less financially rewarding, but more satisfying creative side of the business - documentaries mostly.

So basically I'm not some mook out of nowhere expecting a free ride and a free lunch. I've been around a bit and I actually know a thing or two about making TV, film and video. I care about what I do, and that shows in the standard of work I produce, and also explains why I get a lot of repeat business. That and the fact I also work my ass off for my clients.

I don't claim to be the best at anything - maybe you missed the slightly ironic tone to my previous post. All I'm asking is a question about a side of the business I'm not too familiar with. That is, assuming for the sake of argument the idea is as good as I think it is, (it is), and assuming I can get it made, (I can), how do I get the right people to see it? Send em an email?

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 18, 2008 at 1:17:31 pm

Thanks Bob!

I deleted my rant and I'll go with this, In the words of Monty Python:

Well, I am your video guy.
Video Guy, eh? Very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh?

25+ year veteran,
Steve

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bob BonniolRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 29, 2008 at 12:40:45 am

Hey Bob... Whoa. Touchy about this ?

I'll just toss this highly incendiary log onto the fire: The world of mass market and mass marketing media is changing. Totally. So suddenly there's a TON of people out there who were in diapers when you (and I) were already masters of our universes; and they are defining new methods of production and distribution that are demolishing the old edifices.

Read story after story about clever folks who make something compelling and viral, put it on YouTube, and BAM they are landing clients and making money.

Suddenly successful marketing of media savvy might have a whole lot more to do with creating clever little 8-bit looking light brite signs, hanging em' all over Boston, and precipitating a police incident, then it does with knowing what who or how about editing systems or camera crap (confused ? Check out the marketing effort's for Cartoon Network's Adult Swim). Think big media isn't changing ? Go talk to somebody at a major record label or network who isn't trying to figure out WTF is going on and how they can stay viable in the market... Go talk to Michael Eisner about how creating web based media for next to nothing is trumping what Disney did... Check out Mark Cuban's bank balance as he pays people who are shooting in consumer HDV to churn content for his HD enterprises... Check out how MAJOR consumer entities are actually creating ad campaigns based on user submitted stuff on their websites.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the entitlement thing... I know plenty of Noobs who think they should graduate college, do an FCP tutorial, and then commence work with Spielberg... Har. BUT, the price of entry into the majors, both in actual specie and in experience, isn't at all what it was when we started. These days, somebody with talent, motivation, and a PC, can actually create clever things, get them in front of powerful people, and leap many stairs on the way up.

I wrestle with this in a philosophical sense constantly. But reality seems to be showing that everything we all knew about distribution, creation, and sale of media is changing radically. The only thing I seem to know for certain anymore is that nothing is certain.

Peace out man...

Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 19, 2008 at 2:58:29 am

Let's say I also have the wherewithal to get the ad made. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get it seen by the types of companies I think might be interested in buying it?

I don't think this sounds that difficult. Locate and list the companies you think are interested. Call and get contact information for their marketing people (there will be several at large companies). Then email a link to the video or mail them a DVD. We do work for a large health-care company and they're always getting DVD's and emails with video links of companies that produce medical TV commercials that can be customized for a particular market. Some are great...some suck. But guess what, the large healh-care company occasionally bites and runs one. We just tagged one for them from a company that makes a bariatric device (to help morbidly obese people lose weight).

If it's good...someone will bite.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:21:01 am

Thanks Chris. Kinda took me a while to realise it could be that simple!
Will report back next year and let everyone know how it went...

Return to posts index

Paul CoreyRe: Finding a buyer for a concept
by on Dec 26, 2008 at 4:08:54 pm

Hi,
This site sells tv ads already produced and customizes it for the business for leasing. Maybe you could sell your ad to them or start a company doing the same.

http://www.adedge.com/AdEdge/list_category.php

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]