BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

producing and selling stock video footage !!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gareth blakemore
producing and selling stock video footage !!
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:41:04 am

I'm trying to find out as much information as I can on the stock video footage market. If anyone can give me any help to these questions or have any other info I would be very grateful.

Who buys 10sec to 20sec stock image footage.
Is there a growing demand for HD footage.
What type of footage is in most demand.
Due to ever increasing cheap footage being provided by stock image libraries like istockphoto.com , can you really make a living out of shooting stock footage anymore.

Any comments good or bad will be most welcome,

many thanks

Gareth

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: producing and selling stock video footage !!
on Dec 15, 2008 at 3:02:04 pm

Hi Gareth:

1. Anyone buys stock footage. It is used in all types of productions, from broadcast to DVD to features to web.

2. I wouldn't say that there is demand for HD footage, I would say that all footage today, unless it is archival, needs to be HD. There is very little demand for SD footage, even for the web, where it almost doesn't matter. Even people shopping for web footage will want HD originated material. I license a lot of archival footage and even though we deliver it in an HD master show, we are not willing to pay the extra few thousand to have SD archival assets re-transferred to HD. Yes, that's right, almost all stock houses will charge you if you want to have your archival film re-transferred to HD.

3. What type if footage is most in demand? Foreign travel is always in demand, both cities and rural. Nature stuff always sells well, especially if its spectacular looking like aerials. Time lapse used to do well, but since we now all have $5,000.00 camcorders that can shoot time lapse, it is not as much of a novelty anymore. Business type imagery does well for corporate productions. Red carpet and paparazzi stuff will always do well. Extreme Sports is strong. There are so many little niches.

4. Can you make a living doing only stock? Not likely, especially if you are just starting out. If you were a DP with 30 years of thousands of killer, 35mm film-based highly desirable shots, perhaps, but you are not. I do have a friend who is in the top five suppliers for stock video imagery on iStockPhoto. He, however, is a very talented After Effects artist and designer and he creates most of his footage from scratch. He is in the top five out of thousands of suppliers and still only pulls in $4k to $5k a month, doing it close to full time. I would say that being a great designer and AE artist is more lucrative than just shooting and supplying stock shots.

Can you make a few bucks on the side doing stock? Sure. Can you do it for a living? Perhaps if you live in a third world country and have very low expenses. But if you live here or in Europe, I would say, no, probably not. When you can license beautiful 1080p stock clips for $20.00 and you get just a percentage of that, how are you going to make a living doing that?

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

gareth blakemore
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:13:27 pm

hi Dan

many thanks for the info, I suppose I will have to try and find that lucrative niche market, don't we all !!
Just don't want to spend all my hours shooting and uploading for a small financial return, was thinking about RM but do clients really pay from £ 300, £1000 plus for 10sec clips ? as seen on Getty etc.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:23:20 pm

[gareth blakemore] "do clients really pay from £ 300, £1000 plus"

I think the most we ever paid was about $1500 for a clip a few seconds long... but that was the only source and it was very specific and something we absolutely had to have and would have cost much more for us to shoot it ourselves. We needed a very specific and hard-to-get shot and it had to be shot on 35mm film telecined to 1080HD at 23.97fps... and the expensive one was the only one we could find that exactly fit the bill in that instance.

With a wide variety of very very good stuff available on sources like istockphoto.com at absolutely dirt cheap rates, it is unlikely that our company would be paying those footage premiums very often... and I imagine others would say the same.

Obviously the trick would be having good footage that is in demand... that's very exclusive that no one else has available. Now, what that would be... I'm not sure.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 15, 2008 at 6:11:11 pm

[Todd Terry] With a wide variety of very very good stuff available on sources like istockphoto.com at absolutely dirt cheap rates, it is unlikely that our company would be paying those footage premiums very often... and I imagine others would say the same.

Amen! I bought my first stock footage clips from Getty Images for $600 pre clip, one time use and not for broadcast. If I can find something else that works for $20 why wouldn't I.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

gareth blakemore
on Dec 15, 2008 at 6:44:50 pm

going the same as the photography stock, seems like the only ones making the money are the stock image libraries :(

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 15, 2008 at 6:51:56 pm

I don't know, but I imagine it has almost always been that way.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]