BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Do I need a permit?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Kow
Do I need a permit?
on Dec 11, 2008 at 2:39:11 am

Hi, I am planning on making a short film and I want to film in a factory near my old house. Now, the factory used to be completely abandoned, but as of recent, there is a security guard there. I was wondering if I would need to acquire a filming permit to shoot there, and where I would get it. I live in Illinois, in a pretty small suburb. The filming would be with all teenagers, about 16-18 of age, and after hours, from about 5pm to 10pm if those are factors. any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

-Drew K

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Do I need a permit?
on Dec 11, 2008 at 6:48:47 am

[Drew Kow] "Now, the factory used to be completely abandoned, but as of recent, there is a security guard there."

[Drew Kow] "I was wondering if I would need to acquire a filming permit to shoot there, and where I would get it."

Try the owner of the abandoned factory, they are the only ones that can give you permission to be on the property. If you dont have that Im betting money that the security guard is not going to be vary nice.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 11, 2008 at 7:15:47 am

Public property requires permits under certain conditions like crew size, commercial or hobby (student), and hand held shoots are exempt if they're small run and gun things.

Private property is controlled by the property owner.

Many times, property owners require insurance. if there's a security guard, the property could be bank owned. You can look the property owner up using the county treasurer's office which usually has all of the info on-line.

it's surprising how often someone will just give you the go ahead if it's a small student project. Give it a shot and keep us posted.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Drew Kow
on Dec 11, 2008 at 12:26:34 pm

yeah, but the reason there's a security guard there is b/c someone sneaked into it and tried to steal wiring and was electrocuted to death, so.....I don't know if that's an issue.

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on Dec 11, 2008 at 1:08:43 pm

Hi fellow Illinois taxpayer. Here is a link to our film office.

http://www.illinoisbiz.biz/dceo/Bureaus/Film/

If you go back an read your questions you have kind of answered them. You want access to pivate poperty, treat as someone wanted to film on your property, what would you want to protect yourself?

On one is going to let you loose on there property to work without proof of insurance or siging waivers. Just think if someone got hurt, tripping falling etc.

have fun, but do protect your self.

Tom

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Dec 14, 2008 at 6:22:27 pm

Go meet him.
Business deals are done between two parties much more than what is written on a piece of paper.
I started shooting short films in 1984. Other than press passes, to date I have taken the time to get absolutly no permits for any give shoot.
I'm actually proud of that stat. Thats asking for forgivness rather than permission a hechuvalot and thats what it takes to shoot reality documentaries, which is what I specialize in.
Life happens while making plans or asking permission. If your busy doing paper work, you'll misss the shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]