BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Buying RC Squibs

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John BaumchenBuying RC Squibs
by on Dec 9, 2008 at 4:56:30 pm

I need to purchase RC squibs and blood pouches for some gunshot scenes in an upcoming video. Can anyone have reccomend a supplier?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Gav BottRe: Buying RC Squibs
by on Dec 9, 2008 at 11:29:53 pm

Just a word of warning - if you don't know a good supplier then you probably haven't used these effects before.

Squibs can be surprisingly destructive to your talent. Pro’s use all kinds of clever tricks to avoid killing the people that have these strapped to them – I’d strongly recommend you talk to an effects company about this unless you are an experienced FX guy who has just moved to a new country or something.

Kevlar, hard plate etc. are used with squibs for protection, get one back to front/misfire and you run the risk of blowing a neat hole into your talent – this restricts their ability to make it through the scene, and inhibits their ability to carry on breathing.

Explosives aren’t a good way to go for an inexperienced user. Digital effects are much safer if you can’t afford to spend the time training how to use the hard effects or afford a pro.

You probably know all this already - but the initial post sounded a bit frightening taken on it's own.

P.S. When choosing an FX company it's usually good to choose a guy with all his fingers.

Thanks

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

Bill DewaldRe: Buying RC Squibs
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 2:20:39 am

[Gav Bott] "surprisingly destructive"

Perfectly described.

Return to posts index

John BaumchenRe: Buying RC Squibs
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 2:56:41 pm

Thanks, I've contacted an F/X company.

Other than blowing up cans with M-80's and catching baitfish with cherry bombs, haven't used explosives for anything 'constructive'

Return to posts index

Gav BottRe: Buying RC Squibs
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 12:13:24 am

My post or the OT?

I can't realy drum up business from this side of the water on the back of his project? Or maybe RC squibs mean something other than radio controlled explosives at your end, if so, sorry, my bad.

It sounded like a recipie for less fingers and more gore than the shoot intended when I read it.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Buying RC Squibs
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:06:56 am

[Gav Bott] "My post or the OT?

I can't realy drum up business from this side of the water on the back of his project? Or maybe RC squibs mean something other than radio controlled explosives at your end, if so, sorry, my bad.

It sounded like a recipie for less fingers and more gore than the shoot intended when I read it.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia."

It was a facetious response to the original post –it didn't seem quite right for the Business and Marketing forum.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]