BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John BaumchenExpressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 2:37:48 pm

I've been contemplating putting up a website where videographers, editors, and photographers can post warnings about the grinders and deadbeats out there.

Having read some of the horror stories, thought that by publicly naming these companies, someone else might be saved the trouble of dealing with them or watching their profits evaporate under the grindstone.

Wanted to get an idea of how many of you would be interested in such a site.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 2:56:28 pm

We actually bought a url with plans to do exactly that. We are now addressing the legal issues so that the people who stole from us in the first place, can't come back and finish us off.

While we're talking about it, has anyone dealt with this?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 3:23:22 pm

We cannot do it here, though there have been times when we have seen companies cheat our friends so much so that we would love to do it.

Unfortunately, there are legal issues which preclude us from being able to do it here.

The legal backlash of running such a thing -- and the fact that you can be held legally culpable in naming people as deadbeats when they *may* be nothing more than the target of someone's vendetta against them -- makes it to where we wouldn't touch this kind of thing, at all.

But it would be fun -- for a while, anyway. ;)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 4:01:05 pm

Legally impractical. I think this is one of those things that occasional face-to-face get-togethers are still good for. My experience has been that within the local production community, word gets around fast enough by mouth alone.

Return to posts index

moody glasgowRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 5:50:05 pm

Thats why its good to have some sort of relationship with your competitors, and others who work in your industry in your area. Obviously, big markets like NY and LA are the perfect place for grinders to go from place to place burning people, since the industry is so big, its almost impossible to know everyone.

moody glasgow

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 11:03:36 pm

So that we can be part of their much larger health plan we joined the local chapter of the Printing and Graphic Arts Association. One of the services they offer is the ability to show other members companies with whom you are having "collection problems."

I'm not an attorney, (but probably could have paid for law school with the number of times I've said that here) so my un-educated guess is that this kind of "blacklist" is safe from litigation because it is stating only highly factual information -- who owes money over long periods of time.

The biggest problem with the true grinders is that they typically dispute that monies are owed. That and the fact that you have to have a crystal-clear paper trail of what's been done and the truly talented grinders seem to have a way of making that nearly impossible. (NOT that a certain software company in suburban DC ever managed to spin me so strongly with their grinding that I would have paid THEM just to be done with their project.)

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 5, 2008 at 1:45:19 am

Wow, sounds like "" would be a good URL. Dark colors, grays, murky fonts. Dark and hard to read. That would be my design approach.

I suppose no one would offer up their really good clients?

Oh, I just thought of Angie's List. I subscribed for a while. Wonder if she has production companies on her site...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 5, 2008 at 8:11:19 pm

hmm, slander comes to mind.

We have in the past been listed on Dun and Bradstreet. They ask for names and contact info for current and past clients, and choose who to speak to. One must be cautious - even if you have a bad experience with another entity, when questioned about their experience with your company, others could very well turn that experience against you, regardless of whose "fault" the badness was.

Best to let water flow under the bridge.

Return to posts index

Randy WheelerRe: Expressions of Interest - Deadbeat (ex) Clients
by on Dec 6, 2008 at 12:51:29 am

This guy had a website for all the dotcom failures where ex-employees and whoever could vent and leave comments about these companies. He had quite a following.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved