BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy WheelerPrince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 8, 2008 at 7:35:13 pm

"LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge has awarded nearly $58,000 to a man who claims Prince failed to pay him for video editing work and unreturned equipment.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Gregory Alarcon issued the judgment on Wednesday after conducting a brief trial last month that included testimony from the video editor, Ian C. Lewis.

The judgment fell well short of the $1 million in exemplary damages that Lewis was seeking. Documents show Alarcon also denied Lewis' claim that Prince and his company broke a $25,000 computer because no receipts were provided.

Lewis sued Prince and his company, Paisley Park Enterprises, in October 2007.

Prince's attorneys withdrew from the case and he was not represented during the trial."

Randy

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 8, 2008 at 7:47:19 pm

This story brings a few questions things to mind...

1) I wonder if Prince was happy with Ian C. Lewis' work???

2) Think he and Prince will collaborate on any future projects together???

3) Anyone here going to jump at the chance to takeover the job Ian C. Lewis' was doing for Prince???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 8, 2008 at 9:13:13 pm

I hope Randy isn't going to get sued.:) This was at the bottom the AP article.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Yet oddly the exact same verbiage (without the ©) was on the HollywoodReporter and 3 other sites other sites I looked at. Hmmm.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2008 at 9:36:43 pm

It was ripped right off the wire, but that doesn't mean Prince won't sue Randy though, cuz he probably needs the dough.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 10, 2008 at 1:56:10 pm

Have any of you seen director Kevin Smith's series of campus talks about filmmaking that aired on HBO a year or two ago? He has a long segment about a job he did for Prince. I don't remember the gig, something like taping Prince talking to a group of students. The story is very funny and Prince sounds like a very odd fellow to say the least.

Smith talks about how Prince came to him about doing the project, and Smith was so excited about doing it, he didn't discuss budget or contracts. He just assumed that "hey, Prince has made movies and music videos, he knows what stuff like this costs." But at the very end of it, after a crazy 3 or 4 days or prep and shooting, Prince refused to discuss money and in the end expected Smith to do it for FREE! Smith didn't pursue it because he didn't want the bad publicity, and he was never paid.

He ended the segment by saying his payment was NEVER working with Prince again because the guy is plain nuts.

Genius is hell I guess.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 10, 2008 at 1:59:16 pm

Wonder if he'll ever see the money. I won a $25,000 judgement against someone about 4 years ago and never saw a dime.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 10, 2008 at 2:53:48 pm

It turned out that the sound effect he put in was not doves crying at all!

:-)

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzoRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 10, 2008 at 4:58:15 pm

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

how come you did not get the money if you got the judgement? some is owns me that kind on cash to, he is offering me something very low below 2 thousand. what do i do to get my money? if i spend money to get money, would it be good money after bad???

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2008 at 5:12:05 pm

In many jurisdictions in the U.S. a court can order a defendant to pay, but they can't actually force them to do so. In these cases, you need to hire marshals to go to the person's bank with the court order in hand, and they extract the dough from the person's bank account. The marshalls do this for rather small fee.

In many cases, the defendant will manages to hide their dough, or plaintiffs just don't go after the dough because they are either unwilling to expend the energy or aware of their rights.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzoRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 10, 2008 at 5:33:25 pm

so you think i should for get about the money? what should i do to collect. what about a credit agency and reduce my fine and go to small claims so i dont have to spend so much on lawyers. i still do work for this guy and he pays cod but the last job i never got paid yet because we got into a argument becuase he owed me money from a previous job that i never got paid for . so i told him pay me for the first job then i will start the second, he was pissed because i gave him a discount and he still wasnt happy. he payed me for the first job and i relased the tapes for the second and now its been a week and never got paid. should i be cool, what do you suggest? and how do i get my 20k? his client went backrupt that owns him the money. he is out a lot ore than me.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 12, 2008 at 3:50:17 am

Get a baseball bat and go to his house at 10pm. Knock on the door with the bat. Tell him that you were in the neighborhood and just wanted to say "Hi" and ask when he'll be hiring you again. His wife will tell him to pay you.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2008 at 5:37:06 pm

That's what my biz partner and I had to do; we got some papers from the court and the Marshal's office and walked them over to the deadbeat's bank right after we won the case, we garnished his bank accounts and got about three quarters of the judgement out of the bank, cleaned the guy out. Felt great, after all his nonsense. We decided the hell he went thru for the next month with no money was worth as much as the trouble it would have taken to get the remaining outstanding judgement, and called it even.

He probably should have attended the court hearing. Which is what I told him when he called about 2 hours after our bank visit screaming that he had groceries and rent to pay.

DGMW, we had bent over backwards to accomodate the guy, even after we found he'd been ripping us off. I offered a payment plan at zero interest, just 20 bucks a month. He didn't take it. I told him we still were within our rights to have the Sheriff's office come sieze his Advent giant screen cofee-table projector TV and auction it off to pay off the rest of the outstanding judgement, if he wanted to press his luck.

I always wanted an Advent TV:-) Anyway, that's the end of that story.

Return to posts index

Bryan KeithRe: Prince ordered to pay video editor $58,000
by on Nov 10, 2008 at 10:10:46 pm

I had a situation about 10 years ago where a client never paid me several thousand dollars for a job. After it was clearly apparent that he was deliberately ignoring me, I took him to small claims court. I won the case...he never even showed up. But I still didn't have my money. The court suggested I get a writ of execution, where the marshall goes to collect belongings of the deadbeat. Because of some legal loophole, having something to do with the fact that he ran his business out of his house, the deadbeat simply refused entry to the marshall (duh!) and that was that. I was now out what he owed me, I was out the court costs and I was also out the $100 bucks or so for the writ. But hey...I won the case!!! Gotta love the legal system. I just had to walk away as a life lesson learned.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2008 at 10:23:57 pm

For the next person in this situation, try to do what we did and garnish the bank accounts instead. Once you have the paper from the judge, it's like a warrant and the bank has to tell you if the guy has any money in their bank. Since the deadbeat in our case paid us (once) by check, he gave away where he did most of his banking so we attacked thru that window and got most of what we had coming.

In our case going thru small claims was relatively simple, but it helped that we were between 9-5 jobs and technically unemployed and could basically devote entire days pursing these things... Other folks knee-deep in various projects and commitments may do the math and decide their time based on hourly rate is worth more than the time spent chasing the payback thru the courts.

The most clever of the grinders have already done this math problem for you and it is part of their strategy, gambling that you will not go the extra distance just on principle to get your money, becasue it's not worth the extra work and disruption. Everything revolves around relative cost/benefit with them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]