BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

copyright issues with wedding video background music

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Bachcopyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 2, 2008 at 5:14:41 pm

Hi all

Hopefully there is a thread for this that someone will point me to. I did search but did not find.

Let's assume I am doing a wedding video shoot. Music is playing from CDs by the DJ. People are dancing to that music. And I am videotaping that dancing, including the audio track with that music.

Just out of curiosity, how are copyright issues handled here? Money is changing hands because I am paid to do the video. Payment is coming via the two brokers who found the job and then found me.

There must be a thread somewhere beating this all too common occurrence to death......
Jeff

Jeff Bach
2WheelFilms / Quietwater Films
Madison, WI.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 3:33:28 am

The DJ company has paid an ASCAP-BMI license for the public entertainment. Unless he skipped that.

You have no issue.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Kerry BrownRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 8:38:15 am

Wrong, ASCAP-BMI only cover the playing of the music not the re recording of it.
You need a sync license to make it legal.

KB

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 3:10:48 pm

I think is filed under "something wedding videographers don't like to talk about." Thus far, the music industry has either not noticed or not cared about wedding videos. It is a pretty small distribution compared with online file sharing.

Return to posts index

Randy LeeRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 4, 2008 at 8:30:06 pm

I agree with Mike. Technically, using the music in the finished video isn't legal. But it happens all the time, and no, or virtually no issue is made of it, except for professionals going out of their way to not use the music. It's like speeding. You can get in trouble for it, but it happens on a regular basis anyway.

That doesn't mean that you should use the music, and hopefully someone who doesn't use music from the dances will step in here with a few good words on a quick way around it, but otherwise it's completely up to you to make your choice. Sync licenses are prohibitively expensive for your run of the mill wedding video. Sit back and enjoy the conundrum.

*edit*

Btw, long time no see, Jeff. How are things going with Two Wheel Films? It's rare to see the old instructors posting on the COW.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 27, 2008 at 9:52:40 pm

[Randy Lee] " It's rare to see the old instructors "

OUCH! Being more mature does not make one "OLD". Even though you didn't mean "old" in that way, it's still a word with a razor's edge. Back in the day, we were instructed to not trust anyone over 30. These days, I don't trust anyone under 30.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Rick DolishnyRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 5, 2008 at 2:25:05 am

The forum you seek is Event Videographer here on the COW and I think this industry is in for a rude awakening.

It's called 'sync' music if there is video playing while you can hear the music clearly front and centre, then you will have a copyright infringement on your hands.

The DJ paid his fees but you didn't so you can't deliver it to the bride with the DJs music.

Now, that's pretty tough to enforce and I agree the RIAA has bigger fish to fry. But what you're doing is technically illegal.

The far greater problem is that brides want these lovely montages of the day, or SDE (Same Day Edits) to the song-of-the-day and that's a blatant copyright infringement that the wedding industry goes as far as to promote and celebrate and issue awards for 'editing excellence'. See any WEVA award short-list. Even if there are sync rights for current tracks, they would be horrendously expensive.

I am a partner in a wedding video business and have recently upgraded all of our music to Royalty Free, and that's all we post now on the web. In the short term, I may be losing out to my competitors and their Leona Lewis tracks, but I'm banking on copyright Armageddon in the wedding business and it will come soon.

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index

Kerry BrownRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Nov 5, 2008 at 10:38:47 pm

Check out ZOOM at http://www.zoomlicense.com/
It was created to take of this problem. It is associated with WEVA at http://www.weava.com

KB

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2008 at 11:13:14 pm

That is amazing. Thanks for the link.

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2008 at 3:32:33 pm

I finally logged in, created an account, and checked out the track listings. I LOVE the idea of a simple, easy to use site like this.

BUT, lots of Motown and K-Tel covers.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

---
Rick Dolishny

Return to posts index

Matt MercierRe: copyright issues with wedding video background music
by on Dec 20, 2008 at 8:20:19 pm

If you use royalty-free music for the videos you post on the web, do you also use royalty-free music in the videos you provide to your customers, or do you use the music that was played during their ceremony and reception?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]