BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

filming in a pediatric operating room

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
max maizels
filming in a pediatric operating room
on Oct 27, 2008 at 2:01:55 am

Dear All/ Mike Cohen
I am interested in learning more about filming techniques of surgery in an operating room, especially for pediatric surgeries.
Is there a reference or a person to work with in learning this
thanks
max

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: filming in a pediatric operating room
on Oct 27, 2008 at 1:12:39 pm

Max,
Is this in relation to a potential gig?
The most important things for shooting in any medical situation are:
1. Make sure you are getting the right shot. The surgeon needs to see a monitor of what you are shooting. We have hired freelance shooters for surgery who send us some very nice Discovery-channel-style b-roll, but nothing useful for a teaching video.
2. Know something about what you are shooting. Usually the name of the procedure is enough to get a Google search going. Part of documenting surgery, or anything for that matter, is anticipating what happens next.

A famous story I like to tell at parties was early in my career. The surgeon had finished dissecting out a mass and then quickly removed the mass, asking me "did you get that?" I was zoomed in on a tight shot, so I said "not really, what was that?" He put the mass back into the patient, asked me to zoom out, then re-removed it. That was my "Junior Mint" moment.

3. OR Nurses, the people who control your access to the operating room, like camera crews to be somewhat familiar with OR protocols and patient privacy rules. This is especially true with pediatric patients and babies. You should take these two courses, both for your own information, and because you may be asked to do so by hospitals. Even if they don't ask, it is good to know and shows some concern on your part for rules and regs.

http://www.healthstream.com/Products/STS/RepDirect/orProtocol.htm

http://www.healthstream.com/Products/STS/RepDirect/exBloodPath.htm

Where are you located?

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 27, 2008 at 1:15:55 pm

you may also want to get vaccinated against Hepatitis and maintain documentation in your employee file. We do.

Return to posts index

max maizels
on Oct 27, 2008 at 7:27:46 pm

thanks for your comments
actually, i am a surgeon who is interested in improving what the field now does.

i have been doing filming, as a novice, but would like to advance my novice status

any direction, advise, would be appreciated.
max

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 28, 2008 at 2:25:15 pm

Well, I guess you don't need the OR Protocol training :)

E-mail me directly at mcohen at cine-med dot net and I'll send you some information written just for surgeons.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]