BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Contract - upfront payment

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob GrauertContract - upfront payment
by on Oct 25, 2008 at 4:31:43 am

Hey Guys,

Today I got screwed and only got paid $50 for some work I felt I should have gotten $250 dollars for. So I'm putting together a contract template that I can use from now on. I have a few questions though.

1. As a freelancer, it's my understanding that I have the right to charge for the use of my equipment. The camera I own is a Sony PD170, so I'm only going to charge $250 right off the bat plus $25 an hour. My question is: Should I only charge that $250 to those who already own a production company and have access to their own equipment or is it reasonable to charge $250 someone like, lets say a lawyer.

2. If I am editing, would it be reasonable to charge $250 for the use of my own computer as well? And should I only charge that $250 to those who already own a production company and have access to their own editing equipment or is it reasonable to charge someone like a lawyer too.

In case you need to know my computer specs, I own a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro with 5GB of RAM, FCS2 and Adobe CS3. It's set up primarily for miniDV, but it's capable of editing HD.

Thanks for any help. Hopefully my questions make sense.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Contract - upfront payment
by on Oct 25, 2008 at 10:20:20 am

[Rob Grauert] "My question is: Should I only charge that $250 to those who already own a production company and have access to their own equipment or is it reasonable to charge $250 someone like, lets say a lawyer. "

If the company just wants to hire you as a shooter to use their gear, then you only get paid for your services. If you insist on using your own camera you generally do charge for the camera.

If you are being hired as a shooter with equipment, then you charge for the gear.

[Rob Grauert] "2. If I am editing, would it be reasonable to charge $250 for the use of my own computer as well? And should I only charge that $250 to those who already own a production company and have access to their own editing equipment or is it reasonable to charge someone like a lawyer too.
"

If you are editing on your own equipment, the gear carries a charge.

This is all standard freelancer stuff. You need to set up rates both with and without the gear. You also have to have a clear understanding of what the client is asking of you. Do they want you or the gear? I seldom use contracts with any freelancers, they just tell me their rate with and without equipment and we go from there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Rob GrauertRe: Contract - upfront payment
by on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:56:47 pm

Awesome.

Thanks Walter

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Contract - upfront payment
by on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:43:01 pm

[walter biscardi] "If you insist on using your own camera you generally do charge for the camera. "

Whoops, a mis-type there. It's supposed to say "you generally do NOT charge for the camera." since they already own one and want you to use theirs, if you decide to use your own anyway, you do NOT charge for the camera.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Rob GrauertRe: Contract - upfront payment
by on Oct 25, 2008 at 8:53:51 pm

Oh ok. That makes sense. I've never been in a position to use someone else's gear anyway though. But that's good to know for the future.

Thanks again!

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]