BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Quality Control Procedures

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CohenQuality Control Procedures
by on Oct 24, 2008 at 8:02:29 pm

I would be interested to know what written procedures you have for quality control. Does someone besides the editor or designer check any or all work before it leaves the building?
What about assuming people will check their own work before sending it along to others or "gasp" to the client.
In the past, I have hoped that by identifying common errors in the work of others, they would learn to identify these errors themselves, but that is not always the case.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Quality Control Procedures
by on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:43:40 am

I find it is always best to have someone other than yourself do the final QC of your work. You tend to get too familiar with it and stop really "seeing" it.

Return to posts index

Bryce LeverichRe: Quality Control Procedures
by on Oct 25, 2008 at 5:12:15 am

I completely agree with Mark on this one! One of my clients always has massive amounts of type and thirds in their programs... After editing for hours upon end, even going back and reading all of the type out loud isn't enough to actually "see" some small typos. The client I work with has their own QC department, and I usually just snap a screenshot of every third/text and send it to them in a large zip file. That way the client can zoom through the text and make sure there are no typos and all names/positions are spelled correctly. This saves a ton of time, and work.
If you are concerned about editing mistakes, then someone should watch the entire project. This is what my old manager used to do before we sent anything to the station for air. We would both sit down together and watch the program, this eliminated about 99.99% of any error or typo.
Good luck to you!

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Quality Control Procedures
by on Oct 27, 2008 at 1:19:44 pm

While one cannot expect an editor to catch every error, to what degree should people be expected to avoid basic errors, such as flash frames, titles outside the safe area, over or under exposed video or by the same token, broken web links or a DVD with navigation errors?

Years ago when I confronted an employee about checking his own work, his response was "you're going to check my work anyway, so why should I bother." This was an extreme case and he is now a former employee!

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Quality Control Procedures
by on Oct 27, 2008 at 10:27:54 pm

I think it goes without saying that any paid employee should be checking their own work and turning in "proofed" work. This is especially true given the pay grade of artists in this industry.

As for QC, I have my artists proof their own work, then I (as Creative Director) review it, then the Producer reviews it before passing it off to the client. It's a lot of extra work, but it is worth it when it comes to client confidence, repeat business and reduced revision cycles.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Quality Control Procedures
by on Oct 28, 2008 at 11:32:49 pm

Ihave to watch the whoooole thing again, man.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved