BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

steps for renting a camera out

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearsonsteps for renting a camera out
by on Oct 21, 2008 at 11:22:22 pm

what steps would i need to take to start renting my camera out? I have a brand new hpx170. I"m guessing draw up a contract, insure the camera, make the client sign the contract, collect the money before the rental? Any suggestions?

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: steps for renting a camera out
by on Oct 22, 2008 at 1:38:03 am

[Luke Pearson] "Any suggestions?"

All of the above... plus require that renter maintain insurance of their own which covers rented gear and names you as beneficiary in case of loss or accident. They should provide you with a copy of the insurance certificate. You may also keep credit applications on file for renters.

My other suggestion would be to ask yourself "Do I really want to do this?" If you are getting into the equipment rental business, sure... but if you are just thinking that rentals might be a source of income on the days that you are not shooting yourself, it might not be worth the headache. We've rented gear a couple of times, and won't do it again. It's just not worth the hassle, fear for the gear's safety, worry that it will be returned in time for an important gig... and all that other stuff, for the relatively small amount we could charge in rental fees.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

jon agnewRe: steps for renting a camera out
by on Oct 22, 2008 at 4:43:45 pm

Todd is absolutely correct about requiring the client to maintain their own insurance policy on the camera. It's an absolute must. I also include a Loss & Damage charge in the cost of the rental.

Todd is also absolutely right to point out that equipment rental can be a major headache. In addition to worrying about how the client will treat your gear, whether it will be back on time, etc. There is also your responsibility to the client to consider. In the event that the camera suddenly goes down on set, you can expect some panicked phone calls from the client, expecting you to get it fixed or get it replaced ASAFP. You always have to be prepared to make that happen, assuming you want to work with this client again. Establish a good relationship with a trustworthy rental house so you're covered if you're in a bind. Same with repairs. Find a guy someone who does great repair work quickly, and at an affordable price. The longer your camera is down, the less money it makes, and the few clients you get, or retain.

The other downside of equipment rental is that, if done well, it can become a full-time job. Create too much demand for your gear, and you might find yourself spending more time supporting others' shoots, and less time on your own.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: steps for renting a camera out
by on Oct 22, 2008 at 5:03:59 pm

we ran to this same problem ( spending too much time) when we tried selling stock footage. While it may be cool having our footage in Chicago Hope, spending 8 hours finding the right clip for a client to maybe use is not cool.

Return to posts index

Luke PearsonRe: steps for renting a camera out
by on Oct 23, 2008 at 1:14:19 am

Hey guys. Thanks for all the insight. Seems like its more headache than its worth. I was mainly doing it for extra cash during down times but doubt it will help much. thanks for all the suggestions in case I decide to go forward with it. Take care.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]