BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Who is Mr. Showtime?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Who is Mr. Showtime?
on Oct 21, 2008 at 5:10:11 am

Does anyone know who the voice actor is who is the voice of Showtime?

He does a lot of their promos and all of the "The following presentation has been rated....." intros. He is sort of a "Voice of God" type (the late Don LaFontaine, Beau Weaver, Ashton Smith, etc.) but a bit more sedate. He's been doing those on Showtime for years and I never heard him on anything else ever... until he cropped up in some of the NBC Olympics promos this summer.

Anywho, I want to see about casting him for voice work in an upcoming project... but I can't find any trace of him or who he is. None of the voiceover agents I use (and three of them are the "big ones") know him... or simply aren't being helpful because they don't represent him. I got nowhere with Showtime, and no longer have any decent contacts in promotions at NBC.

Anyone know who this dude is?

Thanks!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Who is Mr. Showtime?
on Oct 21, 2008 at 1:25:16 pm

If this is the guy...his daughter apparently posted the second comment on this page...

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/10/united-states-o.html#commentsform

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

CPO, Digieffects

Return to posts index

Alex Huber
on Oct 21, 2008 at 1:37:31 pm

hmmm actually I thought the Showtime guy WAS beau weaver. I don't really watch Sho much except for Dexter. I'll try to give it a listen.

I think Beau is with DPN -- formerly ICM -- or at least he used to be.

/A

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 21, 2008 at 2:35:03 pm

YES, Tim, thanks... that's the guy. Unfortunately I still don't know who he is.

The poster mused that he must do "70% of the trailers"... not true (that distinction would go to Hal Douglas, even before Don LaF's untimely passing). I've never heard him on anything other than Showtime, except a little bit of NBC sports. He has a great voice, but is fairly emotionless... which is why I think he doesn't work more (although that's what I need for this project).

And no, that's not Beau Weaver. Similar, for sure... but not him.

I'll keep searching... I have a voice session later today with the great Peter Thomas, I'll play that trailer over the phone patch and see if Peter knows him.

Thanks all...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 21, 2008 at 8:19:31 pm

Hey Todd, which agencies did you check with? You can email me who you checked with if you want and I'll see if I can give you a few more leads. Off the top of my head I'd say check with William Morris, but I'm sure you already did that.

Cheers,
John

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 21, 2008 at 9:41:42 pm

Thanks John...

I think we checked with most of the LA voice agents (DPN, CESD, SBV, TGMD, Wm Morris, Sandi Schnarr).

I haven't tried the east coast ones yet (Buckwald, Atlas, etc.) as I was pretty sure this guy was west coast... but I'll give them a try.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 24, 2008 at 10:39:13 pm

Found him... just in case anyone cares.

He is Bill St. James, lives on Cape Cod.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]